How big a part does nostalgia play on your railroad?

While engaged in a typical year-end reverie, the above question began to gnaw at me. For reference purposes: my own system is an HO scale, late '30s, mostly steam operation. As I am probably older than the majority of subscribers to this group, I'm sure no one will be surprized to learn that I still use dc and run on code 100 rail. I don't dispute that dcc might allow greater operational possibilities or that smaller codes will appear more realistic. It's simply that at my age even to consider building a new railroad is an act of hubris. More importantly, it's unnecessary as I am getting tremendous pleasure from what I already have! In any event, the nostalgia I refer to is not dependent on such major features. It will usually make itself felt in more subtle ways. Permit me to focus on one such possible area --- the purchase of "new" equipment.

Three years ago, Rivarossi introduced a beautiful C&O 2-6-6-6 (Allegheny) locomotive. I am told that its mechanical reliability matches its appearrance. I had no desire to buy one. I could not justify such heavy power and the radii of my curves would make it look awkward. In 2003, at a local swap meet, I came across (most of) a Winton version of the same locomotive. I believe the Winton company stopped producing this kit over fifty years ago. It is crude! Put it next to the Rivarossi and it's hard to suppress a smile. Its trucks, pilot, trailing and tender are almost toylike. I bought it at once. Didn't even haggle a bit. My consists hadn't increased in tonnage to require greater power. My radii hadn't grown. I had an opportunity to possess something I wanted for over fifty years and I made the most of it! Nostalgia wins!!

For me the above is not an isolated instance. Over the last ten years I've obtained about two dozen steam locomotives that haven't been offered since the fifties. "Fallen Flag" firms like Varney, Mantua, English, Winton, etc. run on my rails. Of course nostalgia isn't limited to motive power. My Comet cars run well and, if you don't put them next to Westerfields, pass my muster.

I apologize if any reader has been bored by my ramblings. Please feel free to dismiss same as signs of approaching senility. OTOH, I wonder how many others of you receive a similar motivation from nostalgia. It doesn't have to be rooted in half century old memories. It might be something you saw last month or even a book you read last week. I'd be intereted to find out. I hope you all have a Happy New Year. Jerry

Reply to
trainjer

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" writes

Absolutely no apology required :-)

You may find this mailing list to be of interest :

Reply to
Graeme Eldred

Hi jerry

Having just returned to the world of model railways (Railroads in your neck of the woods/side of the pond) I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. I too am searching for locomotives that spark my imagination and will I feel, give me years of enjoyment, which last time I checked, was the point of all this.

In my own year's-end-reverie I have been considering the myriad options I now have available after all these years (probably fewer years than you - i.e.: precisely 30 away from Rail Modelling) and find myself thinking I will:

  1. use Code100 PECO track as it will cater for nearly all loco's and rolling stock
  2. probably go with the ability to automate the entire system in order to enjoy this aspect of having a model rail system. This definitely needs more research.
  3. buy and build a range of loco's - all steam, except perhaps for one very early diesel shunter.
  4. definitely build much of my layout to accommodate large steam engines like the Garratts and Fleischmann's Big-Boy.
  5. yearn to build a marshalling facility that will also accommodate the big'ns, though may end up with something more in line with my wallet. A powered turntable is a must though!
  6. definitely enjoy the reminiscences of a "simpler time" and have a world of fun doing/making/sharing and using my model railway.

My passion is for early steam and I am currently seeking British locomotives from the 1800's to early 1900's (I literally have not a thing at this time). One range of locomotives that has really captured my imagination, were known as "the Singles". Originally built from 1895 these were wonderfully crafted machines and gave excellent service. I feel too, that they were beautiful objects.

Here's a link to one or two:

this is a variant of the original

So, while we may not be from the same country or generation, I too feel what you feel, sir and was most pleased to share your passion for this gentle craft.

Best wishes

Steve A. Kilmore, in the State of Victoria, Australia

Reply to
mindesign

Hi again

just thought this link might be of interest

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

(text deleted)

Nothing at all unusual, except for specifics, I could have written the above post. While there are some P2K locos, and a few of the new manufacturers of cars on my layout, I still get the biggest kick out of running the "vintage HO" I grew up with in the 50's and 60's.

In fact, you probably would enjoy my Yahoo group "Vintage HO Operators"

Our interest is not in the collector who has shelves full of old Varney, MDC Metal and American Beauty Streamliners, but rather the modeler who has these ON the layout, running in daily service.

Don

-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com

Trainman

Thanks for the plug for my group :-) (see my other post in this thread which I sent before I saw this)

Don

-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com

Trainman

Hi nitram!

thanks for that posting.

a coincidence

I had a 21ftx4 ft layout at 12. 36 locos around 100 rolling stock and LOTS of track! My thing was trying to achieve a mini-reality (some things never change, but that's another story)

Sold it and joined the RAAF in the MID 70's

I have no son, though I feel like a kid again when I think that I have just now ( 35minutes ago on eBay) purchased my first new project to get me "rolling".

It is known as a Stirling Single - made only by KITMASTER in "OO" scale. There were variations made over the years but none looked as sweet as this thing.....

I cant wait to get my hands on it! It will be a challenge as it is non-powered, but it will be! I cant wait to see it take it's maiden journey.

Take a pic of your lad's face when it runs, mate. It will be a classic for his 21st - and for his lovin' dad.

:)

Cheers

Steve, Australia-the earth's soft underbelly

Reply to
mindesign

You just go ahead and ramble away! I am sitting here myself for the thousanth time kicking myself for not keeping all my old stuff from when I was a kid. I had an original TYCO set that I expanded again and again. Two MRC transformers about 50 cars and three Locomotives. Now as I am sitting here awaiting the new Locomotive in the mail for my son's Christmas present I browse the sites for buildings and track and cars OH MY! So many things have changed from the late 70's when I enlisted in the Air force and went to see the world. Now my son has expressed an interest in railroading so we got him a small starter set and a few extras. The Locomotive does not work from the original set so a quick call yesterday and a new one is on the way. i hope to have his set working next week and to see his face light up is all I am looking for. To see the joy in his eyes as I did at his age would be the most satisfying setup I could ask for.

Reply to
nitram578

Another one here. The latest RTR offerings from Kadee and Athearn may be glorious in their fine detail, but offer me an old Ulrich hopper car kit or a Silver Streak PFE reefer and I'll take it over the plastic doohickey every time.

Reply to
Rick Jones

Well my entire model railroad is based on nostalgia. I remember seeing the white SSW lettering on locomotives when I was little. The diesel locomotives came thru my part of Arkansas almost daily, but usually at night. I found out that my great grandfather worked on the Cotton Belt, so that is more nostalgia. Also my father worked at a grain dryer that was serviced by the SSW. This was all around the mid 1970s, before the total takeover of SP and UP.

jai

Reply to
JaiJEF

Ramble away! I am getting back into model rail-roading after being out of it for a long time. I am now retired and have the time. Might not have the money but, oh well I will make do.

Thank goodness for my wife. She would not let me sell my trains 30+ years ago and after reading this thread I know what I want to model. I still have three tyco sets from the 50's and 60's and one from the 70's. I also have several engines from the 60's. Can not remember what they are right now. We just got one of the spare bedrooms cleared out and I have been painting it and it will be now referred to as the "Train Room". I have about 8 tyco buildings.

One other thing on the topic of my wife. She has been buying trains off and on for the last 25 years or so, and I thought she was nuts. She knows me better then I know myself. "Gota Love Her"

ChrisG

Reply to
ChrisGW

Thank you, one and all, for your response. While we can all learn from civil discussion of controversial topics, threads wherein we just share the joy we take in our common hobby are also of great value. That the present messages transcend national boundaries and age (and, presumably, other demographic features as well) only adds to my personal delight. Thank you again. Jerry P.S. Graeme and Don - particular appreciation for alerting me to the vintage HO group. I've signed aboard.

Reply to
trainjer

Thank you, one and all, for your response. While we can all learn from civil discussion of controversial topics, threads wherein we just share the joy we take in our common hobby are also of great value. That the present messages transcend national boundaries and age (and, presumably, other demographic features as well) only adds to my personal delight. Thank you again. Jerry P.S. Graeme and Don - particular appreciation for alerting me to the vintage HO group. I've signed aboard.

Reply to
trainjer

In message , Trainman writes

A pleasure :-) I have been an avid reader for a while, but don't recall making any contributions, as my interests, and knowledge, tend to be of UK models from that era, rather than US. I do agree though, that these models (toys?) should be run, and tend to run anything I own, rather than leaving them on a shelf to collect dust.

Reply to
Graeme Eldred

And glad to have you with us.