How to paint traction engine boiler

Any advice on what sort of paint for a 2" Fowler traction engine , steel bo iler? The hornplates will get bolted on soon, so that part of the boiler wi
ll never be seen again, so protection is the priority. Plus most of it gets covered in cleading, only the backplate is really visible, any advice on f inishing the backplate?
Thanks Simon
On 22/08/16 16:27, SimonH wrote:

It has been a while since you posted the query but my neighbour painted his miniature steam locomotive, 5"? gauge, with IIRC International Paints 2 part yacht varnish system and that seems to have worked well. It was brush painted as recommended, as spraying was not advised due to the chemicals, and then flatted and lightly polished to give the paint appearance of working engines which he had grown up with seeing on the Somerset and Dorset railway. It has been done now for 6 years or so and seems to be holding up well and is mixed metal construction. I can ask for more details if required.
On Monday, 22 August 2016 16:27:48 UTC+1, SimonH wrote:

boiler? The hornplates will get bolted on soon, so that part of the boiler will never be seen again, so protection is the priority. Plus most of it ge ts covered in cleading, only the backplate is really visible, any advice on finishing the backplate?

for the 4" Burrell I am constructing the boiler has been painted with Mastercraft high temp semi gloss, in black. Obtained from T & R Williamson, Ripon North Yorks. As the smallest supply quantity is 2.5L a lot of other bits are painted semi-gloss black!
Geoff Rogers
"GeoffR" wrote in message
On Monday, 22 August 2016 16:27:48 UTC+1, SimonH wrote:

for the 4" Burrell I am constructing the boiler has been painted with Mastercraft high temp semi gloss, in black. Obtained from T & R Williamson, Ripon North Yorks. As the smallest supply quantity is 2.5L a lot of other bits are painted semi-gloss black!
Geoff Rogers
========================================================== I use Halfords High Temperature Enamel for the smokebox on my 7-1/4" loco - works fine.
David