How to edit an imported solid

When importing a solid such as parasolid, iges, or step the history that was used to make the part is no longer available. I have a situation with a mold cavity that I have imported that has over 800 bosses protruding from the floor that I need to get rid of to make a model for machining. I assume that some sort of array command was used to make them originally and that would have been part of the feature history when it was made in SolidWorks and could just be deleted to get rid of all the bosses. I can import it into GibbsCAM and pick individual faces of each boss, separate them from the solid and then delete them one by one but it is very slow. How does one effect editing an imported solid like this in an efficient way when the feature history is missing?

Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

Without seeing it it's going to be a total shot in the dark... so, I'll simplify the answer (cuz it's probably more complicated?) But, the most likely answer for you to NOT concentrate on the 800 bosses. Concentrate on the surfaces which the 800 bosses are connected too or, the main body or cavity where they attach. Copy (offset zero) those faces which will envelope the 800 (or whatever you can do) and untrim the holes which remain.. that is, click on the whole body, not each hole, to untrim. Then you have a surface boundary to cut away all or most of the bosses all at on time.

..

Reply to
zxys

If the floor is a planar surface, then add an "extruded cut" feature to trim all the bosses to the same level as the floor.

Depending on the complexity of the model, you might be able to use FeatureWorks to add parametric data to the existing dumb model.

John H

Reply to
John H

"John H" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Cut extrude up to surface, and select the face the bosses are attached to?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

The floor is not planar. It is concave and has variable radii in all directions. The floor is comprised of numerous faces but not as numerous as the bosses. It is a mold cavity. The bosses all pinch off against the core side of mold. I don't need to make the cavity but instead need to make a nest to hold the finished molded part. Hence the reason I don't need the bosses. I just need the floor surface of the cavity. Apparently in SolidWorks it isn't a one click operation:-/

Just a side note. The option of contacting the design engineer for said cavity is not possible. The company that had the mold designed outsourced it to China. That designer/engineer is unreachable and unaccountable. Seems to be the trend these days. We have to beat back the high cost of American engineers.

Reply to
Rocky

Pardon my saying so but, for the most part, this discussion is a testiment to the need for increased globalization. Paul (zxys) gave you the answer you should be trying to develop upon. You want the surfs all these bosses intersect sans boss interface trim boundaries. If you don't know which programs can efficiently handle the problem contract it out to someone in India.

Reply to
gluteous maximus equus

jon, you might want to sit on your thumb.... idiot.

Reply to
madcadman

jon, you're a freak. get the hell outta here.

Reply to
madcadman

Jon,

I have been lurking in here for years and I always ignore any and all threads that you jump into.

Here is a thought... This is a Solidworks newsgroup... for people that use solidworks on a daily basis. It is a tool that they and their employers have invested in. These users come here for advice so they can get their job done.

In this particular thread Rocky was searching for a way to get his job done with the tools that he already has. He got an excellent response from zxys. Something I quickly tried and actually learned something new about surfaces and untrim. You on the other hand told Rocky to go out and try and use some other software..

What the hell kind of advice is that? Do you actually think that that is the solution to the obstacle and that your advice will help Rocky get his job done ... today?

None of your posts actually help anyone. In fact they bring out those who dispize you and then the thread gets hijacked into a slam fest. How is this productive? If you do not have any good advice on how to tackle the problem with the tools tht are available in Solidworks ... then DON'T JUMP IN. We do not learn anything from you...EVER.

Happy Holidays and Thankyou to all of the contributors in this Newsgroup who have actually ADD useful information, tips and tricks. Even if they fall into the category of "work arounds" at least I can honestly say that I have gained some insight from these contributors and have been able to get my jobs' done.

Reply to
Pats Fan

STFU jon you idiot. Go sit on your thumb and spin around.

Reply to
madcadman

Yeah....it's easy to be cocky when You're twice as big....just hope he beat the shit out of You

// Krister

Reply to
Krister_L

Jon - I "Replied to author" instead of just selecting "Reply" so it looks like it went to your yahoo email address... feel free to post my reply for everyone to see.

~George Reilly* - and yes (I am a New England Patriots Fan)

Reply to
Pats Fan

Variations of that stupid "story" have been floating around for quite a while.

Reply to
mich

well the time delay due to internet access to newsgroup is killing me. So I will try and recollect my reply.

Gee I was bored one day and was messing around with my options and entered a posting name ... big deal. I am not hiding anything. You got my name easy enough. Do you think that everyone with a posting name is hiding something?

Do I have only one tool in my toolbox? Are you sure of that? How could possibly know? Are all my tools encrypted into my post or did you secretely scan my workstations?

Yes there is.. As an entrepenaur he probably decided to move on after making his money and handing the reigns over to Dassault.

Deal with my football obsession??? Define obsession... Do I have an obsession because of my posting name? How you came to this conclusion is beyond me.

an * doesn't bother me... want to know why.. oh wait a minute I am obsessed at the moment.

I wouldn't want to tarnish the dolphins... I like them too... they were so jacked up on cocaine that they couldn't possibly have be stopped.

Reply to
Pats Fan

Hey stupid fucknut (aka jon bonquer). Get the hell outta here. We're sick of your stupid CAD-du-jour recommendations. Yesterday it was three dinkies with global shape modeling (boy, that program lasted long and gained widespread acceptance!); today its spaceclaim which can do anything with a blob of IGES; tomorrow it'll be wingnut-CAD. You're a pathetic loser. Who the hell even knows (or cares) who Mike Payne is or how much money he has. Quit dropping names of people you don't know. Leave matt alone too. Loser.

Reply to
madcadman

Monkey's Uncle

Reply to
brewertr

You guys cause me to pass on reading an otherwise potentially interesting post because I know I won't find good answers here. Ought to try an INSULT or SARCASM or SLAM group to post to.

There are only so many hours in a life. Use em or lose em.

Reply to
Bo