Imported solid - the infernal triangle

Does anyone know how to smooth an imported solid? I have a solid that was imported as an STL file with lo..o..o..o..o..ts of
triangles - Is there a way to either smooth it out or cloak it with a surface so it is much smoother than currently. Imagine taking a 3D faceted diamond and removing all the straight lines - but I have way too many to do that manually I can't source another smoother file.
JD,
Can't do that,, sorry, at least with 2006 and earlier.
You need a program like 3DS Max or Blender to smooth a polymesh, if all you looking for is a pretty picture.
If your planning on using this model as the basis for a real world design, fugettabatit. Polymesh models are very coarse approximations, and contain no mathematically defined surfaces or boundaries.
Mark

do
copycad from delcam can do that, using the refine triangle feature.

Michael,
Ouch $$$$$$$$$$, but that's for smoothing a shape for machining
For what it's worth, Ironcad ver 3 would do it as well. You could actually have curved triangles on the surfaces.
Mark