solid from facets ?

Hi there, can anyone help me? I want to obtain a solid model from a facets feature....please!!!

Maurizio

Reply to
Sakurambo

The technology to convert a faceted solid into a feature-based model does not exist in Pro/E. It is possible to convert the cloud of vertices into a featureless surface model using Pro/SCANTOOLS, but don't expect it to be easy.

Generally speaking you must model it yourself.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

The steps below will give you a quilt feature. You can try to Create>Solid>Protrusion>Use Quilt to get a solid. However, this will only work if all the edges of the quilt are closed. Also, it probably won't work if you have intersecting or self-insecting surfaces in the quilt.

You can try to correct these issues by creating, merging and trimming surfaces, but this can be EXTREMELY tedious. Also, the only thing you really gain by going from the original quilt to a solid is the ability to calculate volume/mass.

Dave Parker

Reply to
Dave Parker

You probably would do it that way if 'facets' data were iges surface data. However, Maurizio explained in a private note to me that this was an STL file which is why he refers to facets. In that case, the steps I described will produce a single import feature solid which can be assigned a material. That will allow doing a model analysis of mass properties, pairs clearances, etc. You can also measure distances, curve lengths, radiuses. From that analysis, you may be able to reconstruct the part. I have the feeling, however, that he was expecting more, i.e., to retain surface patches, parametric features, dimensions, etc. None of that is contained in the STL file and cannot be reconstructed on import.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes