Imported Models

Why is it, that imported models almost always break up a hole feature into 2 surfaces? Or at the very best, it will produce a single surface through the hole itself, but if you select the edges of the hole, it will be split into

2 half circles.

Is there no way around this?

Reply to
Seth Renigar

I don't know why, but have seen it a lot as well. I always attributed it to some kind of Pro-E trait, but have seen it from other platforms as well.

I just took a SWX model from a recent job and round-tripped it through Iges and step. The holes came through just fine, so it must be something from the originating software rather than a translation issue???

I have a dumb-ass solution that I sometimes do. I'll go in there and blast a hole into the imported model that is .0001 over-size. Presto-round hole. Just be sure to check draft angles-etc.

That's all I have for you.

jk

Reply to
jk

Because it was most likely nurbs or spline based data originally (pro/e, sdrc,..) or the user selected that the data be exported as nurbs (iges type 126/128)? It's not uncommon to see this import behavior. We did have a option a few releases ago to heal the split data as analytical so you would get a full circle... I don't think it works this way now? Anyhow, that heal feature was the way around or a fix for the split circles/arcs. And, as jk mentioned, if you export and import using STEP or IGES, it will go through another auto heal (if it's set) and try to convert them into analytical.

..

Seth Renigar wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Yeah, I've just got finished doing your dumb-ass solution as well :-) But it is a PITA to have to do...

I don't know why I haven't thought about the round trip (I call it "looping"). I have used this method many times before. Just forgot I guess....

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Yep, as jk implied, the issue you see with cylindrical holes being imported as 2 half-cylindrical surfaces is the originating system's fault.

For instance, in ProE, all cylindrical surfaces are split in two. Thus, when you export an iges from ProE, and then import that into SWX, cylindrical surfaces may be split as well.

No idea why ProE (or some other cad packages) do this, but that is the way it is.

Reply to
Arlin

Rhino does this too--NURBS. Rhino's fault in this case, not SW.

Jeff Mowry > Why is it, that imported models almost always break up a hole feature into 2

Reply to
Jeff Mowry

It is a result of whatever made the translation to begin with. Very common in Pro-E output.

I've imported plenty of UG parasolids where this doesn't happen, though.

BTW.... Quick fix to turn NURBS back into planes and cylinders: Export model as STEP203 (not STEP214), then reimport to SW. Sometimes this converts Bisurface entities back to planes and conics.

Discovered this by accident, but it's been a lifesaver in the past.

Reply to
TheTick

It is a result of whatever made the translation to begin with. Very common in Pro-E output.

I've importedplenty of UG parasolids where this doesn't happen, though.

BTW.... Quick fix to turn NURBS back into planes and cylinders: Export model as STEP203 (not STEP214), then reimport to SW. Sometimes this converts Bisurface entities back to planes and conics.

Disocered this by accident, but it's been a lifesaver in the past.

Reply to
TheTick

It's a translation protocol option that's set because some (probably older for the most part, Pro/E / Granite still) systems don't like surfaces that are closed in one direction (cylinders, spheres, etc.). The split option can be toggle for Rhino IGES exports. I think STEP allows setting the option, too, but don't remember ever seeing it exposed to the user in any software (if SWX exports don't split 'em, I guess an option does exist). Doesn't have anything to do with NURBS, at any rate (and fwiw).

Does this cause problems or is it just an annoyance?

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Jeff,

Just an annoyance actually. Although this is a model that I am creating a mold from using vanilla SolidWorks (no add on software). Therefore there is a lot of in-context stuff going on and having to deal with this kind of stupid Sh-t throughout the design process can be a PITA and not very efficient.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Thanks Tick. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Reply to
Seth Renigar