Moving an Imported Sketch

I'm actually asking this for someone else. I haven't worked too often with imported sketches.

If you import a DXF file into a new sketch, is there any way to dimension one point (say a hole center) to a feature on the part (origin or model edges, whatever) and have the entire sketch move as a group as you modify those dimensions? Basically we want the sketch to be fixed relative to itself yet have a means of locating it accurately in the part.

Thanks,

Joel Moore

Reply to
Joel Moore

Two easy ways.

Option 1. Use the 2D-3D toolbar. Click a point you want to go to the origin, then click the toolbar button - everything moves.

Option 2. Select everything and then CTRL select the point you want to position and start to drag. Now, while still dragging, let go of the CTRL key and drop that point where you want it.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Try using 2d to 3d toolbar and align sketch. or Try using the Scan equal and AutoDimension tools. When I copy and paste a sketch from Acad this is what I use to align it to the origin or whatever. Once everything is dimensioned you should be able to drag it without changing the geometry. also there is Tools>sketch tools>modify this will alow you to incrementally move the sketch I haven't found this very practical though but it may do what you want.(This will only work if you haven't already constrained to anything outside the sketch.)

Regards, Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich