dwg as sketch

What is the easy way to import a dwg profile as a sketch and position it correctly. I am trying to make a quick visual presentation of a unistrut table. I can import the dwg off of unistruts website and put it into my sketch but nothing is constrained. when I try to move it solidworks moves 1 line at a time.

Is there a simple way I would import a dwg and have all of the geometry imported stay fixed to itself yet still be able to position the sketch?

Solidworks does a pretty good job of adding constraints but no dimensions. If I autodimension I get mixed results maybee I am not using the correct autodimension settings. Anyways all I want to do is keep the imported geometry exactly the way it was imported and move it into position, with the fewest clicks possible.

Thanks Troy

Reply to
mmiami
1.Import the .DWG file to a 2D sketch
  1. Window select the entire object
  2. Move to the desired location

Reply to
ne-iowan

Easiest way, presuming you want to move it so a particular point is coincident to some other particular point. If not, adjust your picks as necessary.

  1. Open the sketch & window select all
  2. Ctrl-select the desired point to use as the drag handle
  3. While still holding the Ctrl key, start to drag the whole thing
  4. While still dragging, release the Ctrl key and snap your drag handle to the desired anchor point.

This works because it actually starts out in copy mode, but it doesn't make a copy because you release the Ctrl key before finishing the process.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany