DWG import in 2004

Hi

I remember reciving an e-mail regarding all the new cool features in SW2004. One off these features was supposed to be the ability to associate dwg files with sw-files. Meaning that changes made to the dwg file automatic would update the sw-file.

Anyone know if this is in fact possible and how it is done?

Jesper

Reply to
Jesper Davidsen

You can link to a dwg in a block in a slddrw file.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

In 2003 durring installation you can set an option that sounds like what you are talking about

"Endable Drawings to update Models"

If you do this when you import model dims it updates the model on rebuild.

I don't know how it works in 2004.

If you are talking about ACAD .dwg I haven't heard anything like that, but sure would be interested if there was.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Can't answer your question but have to grin. I understand this parametric association was developed and available for limited availability and testing three years ago. I cannot find any information in the 2004 "what is new" manual on this topic. How did you hear about this technology?

Kman

Reply to
Kman

"Corey Scheich" a écrit dans le message de news: bn6afp$to52v$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-200385.news.uni-berlin.de...

Been there as long as I recall, 97+

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

Dear SW Newsgroup Participants,

Here is how it works in 2004:

1.) Open a DWG file in SW2004. 2.) During the DWG import wizard, choose the "import to drawing" option. 3.) Select the "view only" (current DWG active sheet) or "view only all" (all DWG sheets) radio button 4.) Select the "finish" button to complete the import process.

After importing into SolidWorks, the drawing sheet or sheets will display several controls in the property manager that control the link to the original DWG file. With these controls you can change the path of the linked file, and also manually force an update to refresh the version displayed in SolidWorks. When opening the SolidWorks drawing, the DWG linked file will update to reflect any changes made externally from SolidWorks.

No changes or additions can be made to the DWG file from within SolidWorks, but you can change the DWG file externally and the changes will be displayed in SolidWorks.

I've done some brief testing with this new tool and found it works quite well.

Please respond to the NG with any comments or issues encountered using this new tool.

John Picinich

John Picinich

I've got it now, thanks.

How my problem is what good is this new feature when the dwg is view only? When I asked my first question I was hoping the I could use the dwg as a layout sketch, but as I understand this is'nt possible.

My work is drawing pipe between pumps, tanks etc. The position of these components are defined in a dwg file. Does any one have an idea how I can avoid having to updating my layout sketch manualy?

Jesper

"John Picinich" skrev i en meddelelse news:_VPlb.67795$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

SolidWorks,

Reply to