Using equations in a DWG file

Hi all,

I'm using Solidworks drawings to design flat composite structures that are laser-cut, and through integration with flexible polymer film can be folded up into small articulated structures.

The process is probably too complicated to explain thoroughly here, but here's my problem: I'd like to link feature dimensions in the DWG (because it's the file I send to the laser), but I can't figure out how to use equations in a drawing file. Is it even possible to do this? I've done it before in a 3D SLDPRT file, so I know how it's done there, but the same option doesn't seem to be available from the little dimension window in a drawing file.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks, Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

It seems like one work-around would be to make your sketch in a part. That allows you to use your equations. Then make a drawing of the part, which is just the sketch.

Jerry Steiger

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

Aaron wrote in news:41c1b492-6c49-4961-8d00- snipped-for-privacy@e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Aaron,

If I read this right, you want to use info embedded in the dwg file for some purpose in the laser.

Without further info, it's hard to be sure but, you may want to look at handling your requirements with LISP routines. You can definitely handle them with a third party (custom) application.

You may be able to do something with assigning/extracting attributes in the dwg file itself.

If you already know how to do this in SWX, why don't you use that method and have the dwg as the leftover legacy?

In any case, I would drop a post over at comp.cad.autocad. They would be better suited to answer this question.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Rod Morningwood

Rod Morningwood wrote in news:87548$47e265d2$d1d95329$ snipped-for-privacy@PRIMUS.CA:

alt.cad.autocad may be better crickets in c.c.a

Reply to
Rod Morningwood