Export a Solidworks file as a DWG, or DXF

The help files tell me that I should be able to export a Solidworks file as a DXF, or DWG, into Autocad, and yet I do not have the option when I open "save as". Do I have a switch turned off that I need to turn back on, in Object Properties, maybe? I could swear that I have done this before, however it must have been a while back, because I am clueless here. Jen Axiotis

Reply to
jenniferaxiotis

You need to save it to a SW drawing first - then you can save as DWG.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

You can not 'Save As' to a 2D DXF or DWG when in the 3D model. You need to create a drawing, then you can do a 'Save As' of the 2D drawing to dxf or dwg.

If you would like to import your 3D model data into AutoCAD you will need to 'Save As' an ACIS (.sat) file format. Then you can use the ACISIN command to import the data into AutoCAD.

Regards,

Anna Wood

Reply to
Anna Wood

A 2-D sketch is exactly what I am trying to save as a DWG. This is a simple profile sketch before extrusion. Jen Axiotis

Reply to
jenniferaxiotis

It is saved as a Solidworks drawing. I do have it saved as a sldprt, I still do not get the option to save it as a dwg or dxf. Everything but. I am using v2007, if that matters, it shouldn't. Thank you all for your concern, I will have to make the drawing in Autocad, as the particular Wire EDM machine service that I am dealing with demands an Autocad Format. What bothers me most is how I can be misreading the help files so badly, is all.

Jen Axiotis

Reply to
jenniferaxiotis

You can export a drawing file to DXF, or DWG using the save as command.

Solid body would need to use step, or iges for Autocad.

Reply to
Joseph

When you are in the slddrw, do a File, Save As from there. You will get the option to save as a dxf or dwg. Also down in the bottom right of the Save As panel, after you have selected your file type, be sure to click on the options button, there are more items there that you can select to control how you export the dxf or dwg.

If you wish, e-mail me your files (sldprt and slddrw) and I will give it a look.

Regards,

Anna Wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Anna Wood

when the others said to save as a swx drawing first, they meant that you must make a drawing from the model and save the drawing as a *.slddrw file. What you've been doing is working with a model file (*.sldprt) and trying to save as dwg file. I think you're confusing the sldprt file with other software where the part geometry and the drawing or paper layout is all done within the same file. create a drawing first from your model. Remember the difference between the model (sldprt) and the drawing (slddrw) files.

hth bill

Reply to
bill allemann

A sketch in a SolidWorks part file may translate to visible elements in a SolidWorks drawing file, but it will NOT translate to visible elements in a DWG or DXF. Apparently, therefore, SolidWorks doesn't give you to option to save the drawing as a DXF for DWG. You need to actually create the extrusion from the sketch in the part file. The the visible elements in the SolidWorks drawing file should be exportable.

'Sporky'

Reply to
Sporkman

Thank you all. You were all right on the money. I did save the sketch as a drawing file first, opened it up as a drawing file, then had the option to save as a dxf, or dwg.

Many thanks, Jen Axiotis

Reply to
jenniferaxiotis

Jen,