SW2005 SP0: How do I output a (*.dwg), or (*.dxf) file?

I think I'm having a retarded moment using Solidworks 2005 SP0.

I'm trying to create a set of drawings that will be importable for someone using AutoCAD 2004.

I opened the Solidworks 2005 Online User's Guide (under Help tab) and under its search tab I typed "dxf" and pressed the list topics button.

The fourth item down that it returned is "DXF/DWG Export"

Sounds good!

The instructions seem straight forward, so I open MY_Part.SLDPRT and choose 'save as type'; however, neither (*.dxf), or (*dwg) are listed among the choices. What the Hell?!

Am I missing something, or is this an additional module that I need to purchase?

Z.O.

Reply to
Zagrad Ortjadi

You are trying to save a part file as a 2d dxf or dwg. You need to create a drawing of the part and then you can save the drawing as a dxf or dwg.

MB

Reply to
McBurger

Zagrad,

I've had the same problem with SW 2004 SP0.....when you go to Save As....there is no option to save as a dwg file, yet in the help files it says that's all that you have to do.

I think it's some shitty documentation on Solidwork's part. I still haven't been able to figure it out either. I'll let you in on the secret when I figure it out myself, or when someone is kind enough to enlighten the general public.

Xolo

Reply to
Xolo

It is kind of an oversight on SW part that 3D dxf/dwg cannot work with the part environment and likewise that IGES will not work with the drawing environment. Unfortunately this flows out of the "democratic" way SW decides what to put in the software. Apparently largenumbers of users have not asked for either of these capabilities.

Xolo wrote:

Reply to
P.

P.,

So, how do you export/save as a dwg file then? Tell us how you would go about, step-by-step in saving a file as a dwg.

Thanks,

Xolo

Reply to
Xolo

You can save drawings (2D) to dxf/dwg and parts and assemblies to iges, but not vice versa. I have no idea how to get parts and assemblies into dxf/dwg unless you perhaps saved the part as ACIS (.sat) and read it into DWGEditor. From there export dwg and see what you get.

Reply to
P.

As others have said, SW doesn't have an option to save from a part to a dxf file. If you're trying to go to 2D, then it is for good reason. A part can be represented from infinite number of angles in 2D. That must be why SW decided on using the drawing to export to dxf, because that is where you define the 2D view.

What you may be looking for is a utility that will export a selected angle, or perspective, to dxf directly from the part or assembly. I have a FREE utility that does it

Browse down to Export Utility and pick the download button. Pre-select a face or plane, run the macro, and a dxf is generated that is normal to it.

It took awhile to write it and it does much more. Have fun...

Kent

KCS Company