Re: Tip of the Day: Matching Sketch Origin to Part's

What possible advantage would moving the Sketch origin away

> from the part origin have?

The only thing I could think of, is that back in the olde days, when people would import 2D sketches from other CAD packages, there were always 0,0 origins for them.

SolidWorks may just be maintaining the integrity of the 0,0 origin, so that there is always a reference point to measure things from, when looking from a standpoint of original design intent.

Mike

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

Mike, I give up! I've tried and followed your instructions to the letter. Put a unconstrained point in the sketch; changed its coordinates to

0,0 and it moves to the sketch origin (not the part). SFSG. Then when it comes to moving the sketch, I grab the point and move it towards the part origin. But only the point (a "black" looking origin covers it) moves. It doesn't move the rest of the entities, and the red origin of the sketch stays?. I have tried all the options in the small Modify Sketch dialogue box, to no avail. If I leave the default selection in that box (scale about sketch origin), then the all sketch Including the point and the "black" origin moves, but it's impossible to locate accurately to the part origin? Can you put me out of my misery! I feel so dumb? No big deal but can you assist? I find this tip very useful for some circumstances. SWX 2004 sp 4.0. Love those renderings (chrome parts)?. So much to learn? so little time!
Reply to
Alain

Ah yes. Move the black origin out of the way, then you should be able to move the red one.

Mike

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson