relocating the origin of a part

is it possible to move the origin of a part to a different location?

Reply to
swjf

No... Not exactly. Think about it like this:

The origin represents the center of the universe in the 3D modeling world (I mean universe). If you moved it, then it just wouldn't be the center of the universe anymore, now would it?

You can however move the part around the center of the universe by using several methods:

  1. Insert>Features>Move/Copy will move selected bodies to any location that you can define. This can either be done by Delta XYZ values or by defining a start point and end point with mouse clicks.
  2. Another common method that I use a lot on imported models is to actually create a new Coordinate System defined in the exact location and orientation that you would like to see the Origin. This may require a few reference sketches to accomplish this. Once this is done, you can export the model to something like a parasolid but make sure that you select this new Coordinate System in the export options. When you re-import this parasolid model, it will be in the correct location in relation to the Origin that you had previously defined the Coordinate System.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

I like Seth's answer for his stating the literal obvious answer. However, if you are a new user, you are probably saying "Huh??" Let me state it in simple terms. Yes, you can move sketch geometry relative to the origin, and there is more than one method. (Others chime in here.)

  1. Change the sketch plane.
  2. Change the relationship of a sketch entity, such as remove the coincident relation of a line to the origin and instead make the midpoint coincident to the origin.
  3. Use the Move or Copy Entities routine inside the sketch.
  4. If you are using something before SW2005, one of the easiest methods is to open the sketch, highlight all that you want to move as a group, hold your CTRL key click on a sketch element somewhere and start to drag. Before you get to your desired location, let go of the CTRL key so you don't get a copy. Then drop the moving sketch elements where you want them. If you select a point, such as the end of a line, etc. as your drag handle, then you can snap that point to something, such as the origin.

But,,,,, in SW2005 they disabled that!!! :-(( Too bad - it was my favorite. However, there is a bright side. If you use the Move or Copy Entities routine, you will find that it has been improved - in place of my favorite method, I now use it.

The easiest way to use it is to highlight everything you want to move, and then click the Move or Copy Entities button. It will then open in a mode of asking you place the base point. Wherever you click (and release) becomes the base point and then when you drag everything by moving the mouse around, that will be the anchor point - click again to place it. You can have the base point be out in space, if you so choose, or you can have it be a particular quadrant node of a circle, endpoint of a line, etc..

If you highlight your sketch entities after you start the process, you have to work through the different parts of the Move or Copy Entities routine. Play with the stuff to see how it works.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I agree with moving the sketch to where you want it in relation to the origin as an option. However he didn't specify that it was a native SW created model with sketches. I guess that when he asked if the origin could be moved in relation to the "part", I assumed that it was an imported part.

There is one thing to be careful of when moving sketches as you describe. Before you move you sketch from the first base extrude, you must make sure that ALL child features & sketches are related ONLY to this first base extrude feature/sketch or you will likely get undesired results. To correct these undesired results, you will have to edit each sketch and move them individually, if they are even still intact.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

So true - I saw it as a SW part started from a base sketch. Good point.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany