Origin

How do I move the origin in 3D?

Reply to
john gaskell

You can't move the origin... Out of curiosity, why would you want to?

Reply to
Jeff Mirisola

The very idea of "origin" is that it is fixed in 3D.

Reply to
Heikki Leivo

There can be a bunch of reasons to move the origin, especially when dealing with imported geometry. A lot of programs allow you to do this. Moving and scaling from a certain pivot point might be a reason to do this. Sometimes I get dumb solids that have an origin that is very far away from the model. This causes all sorts of navigation issues.

Perhaps the work around could be to move the model/body itself to the origin instead of moving the origin. Or you could create an assy. Move the part to the appropriate location, and save out the assy as an sldprt.

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish. That could help us solve the issue with Solidworks workflow.

Reply to
parel

You can't move the origin, but you can move anything else in relation to the origin. Are you working within a part or assembly?

Within a part, you will have to change the position of the sketch or feature in relation to the origin.

Within an assembly, you may need to remove the Fix relation in order to reposition a part or sub-assembly.

Reply to
John Eric Voltin

Just that when I converted my model to 2D my centerline was off the origin by 0.013 and my diminsions were a bit off.

Sorted now. I had to move the centerline and other refrences to the origin.

I just thought if I could move the origin it would be a little quicker.

Reply to
john gaskell

My initial shape was imported. It was an irregular shape.

So only once the model was completed I needed to move the origin to a certain point.

Reply to
john gaskell

You cannot move the origin, but you can move the model by using Insert -> Features -> Move/Copy Bodies feature.

--h-

Reply to
Heikki Leivo

Our way of doing this is to:

  1. use file, make assembly from part, to create an assembly with that part only in it.
  2. float the part in the assembly.
  3. mate the part to the planes in the assembly in order to move the part to the new position.
  4. use file, save, and change the type from assembly to part to save the assembly as a part in the correct orientation to the part origin.

Mark

Reply to
MrSlabaugh