Silly question - why 4mm grid paper?

Greetings and Salutations
    I have recently acquired a couple pads of A4 graph paper, but with 4mm grids. As is may seem a statement of the bleeding obvious, but
4mm is not an integer fraction of either 1 cm or 1 inch. (what can I say, I'm back in the States, I get my choice of "N to the foot" relationships.)     I've kludged my way around the scale problem - my question is: why 4mm grids? Googled "4mm" and get a lot references to UK scale modeling. Aside from the use of 4mm:1foot (on the prototype) I'm not really any more the wiser.     Does anyone have any idea why 4mm grid paper? Or is this one of those mysteries of life?
tschus pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
Rock is Dead! --- Long live Paper & Scissors!

It's right up there with the use of paper that matches nobody else's paper. They have no idea what A4 means, but use Letter instead, and love Legal writing pads for jotting notes on. I still have a selection of US graph papers, I'll dig them out tomorrow and see what size grids they are.
--
Davey.

in uk.rec.models.engineering the following:

    It all depends, some are four to the inch, some are five, both of which divide an inch into "usable" fractions.
    But 4mm? - that's 2.5 grids per centimeter!?
--
pyotr filipivich
On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 09:12:09 -0700

The metric system is virtually unknown in the USA, remember. I haven't got to my grid sheets yet.
--
Davey.

On 12/08/16 00:43, Davey wrote:

A4, like the other A 'series' paper sizes are all related by area. A4 is half the area of A2 and so on.
As for 4mm not being an integer fraction of 1cm etc., while that would be and issue for scale drawing, it isn't for a number of other uses, including (for example) plotting graphs. Over the years, I've seen various 'odd' grid sizes (I was a maths teacher and used maths in my earlier engineering career).
Umm, no. A4 is half the area of A3. They're all defined by a DIN standard and have the joy that the length:width ratio is constant throughout the whole series.
Regards Simon Carr
On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 5:57:34 AM UTC-4, Brian Reay wrote:

On 21/08/16 14:42, SimonCarrLyme wrote:

Yes, of course, a silly error on my part.

uk.rec.models.engineering the following:

    Not quite - A4 is half A3, which is half A2 etc, eventually to a sheet which is one square meter in size, and the Golden Rectangle.

    Yep. But a 4mm grid still means you have to count grid squares to plot your data.
--
pyotr filipivich
On 25-Aug-16 3:25 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:

Is there a another/better way?
Henry
On 25-Aug-16 9:27 AM, Dragon wrote:

To answer my own question - label the axes and put scales on them. Then you simply read the scales to plot the data. I guess I'm out of practice!
Henry
in uk.rec.models.engineering the following:

    And you get to count all the squares from (0,0) to (10,14), then on to (13,15), etc, etc. Because while it would seem to make sense that 10 units is 2 squares over, it isn't on a 4mm grid. Two girds over is 8mm. so, you get to count, not measure.     Meh, it just means that this paper is not for drawing with a standard measure, but you have to make a custom scale to use. Which is not that unusual, I make scales with the lines on the page being 1 or 2 units, and then marking off left and right according to the tick marks on the scale I made.

--
pyotr filipivich
in uk.rec.models.engineering the following:

    If you have 5mm grids, when you want to plot (4,5) (15,9) (21,15) you can just measure over 4cm and up 5, etcera.

--
pyotr filipivich
On 10-Sep-16 11:36 PM, pyotr filipivich wrote:

I wonder how you plot graphs? When I did this a part of the job as a test engineer they were for others to view and use. So I put major and minor grid lines on them with pen and ink and annotated the axes with scales. The when doing the actual plotting used the scales, as would those reading them later. So it didn't matter what the grid spacing was as long as the graphs were at the largest that would sensibly fit on the page.
Henry
in uk.rec.models.engineering the following:

    I would do something like that.
    But I'm not "plotting" so much as 'drafting'.

--
pyotr filipivich
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

Good heavens is this STILL dragging on
YAWN YAWN YAWN
Hasn't this been flogged to death
Andrew
2016 18:39:57 +0100 typed in uk.rec.models.engineering the following:

    Apparently not.
--
pyotr filipivich
"And Art is art, and east is east and west is west, and if

Don't knock it Andrew. At least it's activity :-)
Regards Mark Rand RTFM
"Mark Rand" wrote in message

True :)
Andrew
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

Good heavens is this STILL dragging on
YAWN YAWN YAWN
Hasn't this been flogged to death
Andrew
Cliff.

Simple, it's 5/32" which, coincidentally is the diameter of Meccano shafts ;-)
Regards Mark Rand
--
RTFM