Silly insert question

Lots of inserts seem to have conical, or rather tapered, holes in them. How exactly does that work?
Looking at one I have handy, it seems the hole is tapered quite a lot at
the top, and much less so at the bottom. Also the upper part of the hole seems much more accurately formed than the bottom - there's even a polished-looking section just below the top of the hole, though it isn't very deep.
Anyway, my silly question - if a screw with the wrong shape was used, is it likely that it could split the insert, or otherwise damage it?
-- Peter Fairbrother

Yes. The screws are of a special shape to match the insert. MEW did an excellent chart, in the Datasheet series, of the types of insert (fixing, size, shape, etc. I can send you a scanned version if you let me have your e-mail address.
Andy
houstonceng wrote:

Yes please - email is as above. Thanks.
-- Peter Fairbrother