Hole Callout Question- placing the number of instances at end of note...

In SW2004 drawing hole callouts-holes created with the hole wizard are
automatically preceded with the number of hole instances (ex.. 4X
1/4-20...). Does anyone now how to customize this so that SW does not call
out the number of instances, or place the number of instances at the end of
the callout?
Ron
Reply to
Ron
Ron,
This is controlled by a text file in C:\Program Files\SolidWorks\lang\english (or whatever language you're using). The file is named Calloutformat.txt. A second file named Calloutformat_2.txt has a simpler callout structure and can be used if renamed to Calloutformat.txt. These are completely customizeable. Make sure you back these files up before playing with them.
Have fun, Dave H
R> In SW2004 drawing hole callouts-holes created with the hole wizard are
Reply to
Dave H
Dave H...
The text files control the format of the call out, but it does not appear to control the format of the number of hole instances...
SW2003 did not do this, but SW2004 adds the number of hole instances made in a Hole sketch to the beginning of the callout in a drawing.
Where in the text file can do you control of the number of instances?
Ron
Reply to
Ron
Dave H...
The text files control the format of the call out, but it does not appear to control the format of the number of hole instances...
SW2003 did not do this, but SW2004 adds the number of hole instances made in a Hole sketch to the beginning of the callout in a drawing.
Where in the text file can do you control of the number of instances?
Ron
Reply to
Ron
In 2004 it's no longer possible to change the position of the number of hole instances. This is another of Solidworks ways to force people to use some type of standard. Why they do this I have no idea but you're SOL to change the location.
R> Dave H...
Reply to
1
It IS possible to change the position of the number of hole instances. Just not automatically by default. In your Dimension Property, simply "Cut" X and paste it to your preferred location.
Its kind of a PITA that you can't make it do this by default, but at least you will get your desired results.
On a second note, I am just starting to play with hole callouts and am trying to customize my callout file. But I have kind of a side question regarding hole callouts.
In my drawing, I prefer to create a section view thru the holes and have the callout pointing to the hole in the section view. Currently, I use a note with a leader pointing to the sectioned hole. To keep my "note" hole callout somewhat parametric, I dimension the sectioned hole, link my note to these dimensions, then hide these dimensions. First, this is also a PITA to do. Second, there are limitations such as not being able to link to thread pitches on tapped holes or with not being able to link to number of instances on any hole type. That is why I am starting to play with the built in hole callouts.
My question: Is there a way to insert a SW hole callout to a sectioned view of a hole rather than a top/bottom view of the hole?
Reply to
Seth Renigar
You can edit the hole callout to include the variable in any location in the note. You then have to just delete the one SW places at the beginning. PITA, but it does cut down on typing and the quantities remain parametric and update.
Jonr
> It IS possible to change the position of the number of hole instances. Just > not automatically by default. > In your Dimension Property, simply "Cut" X and paste it to your > preferred location. > > Its kind of a PITA that you can't make it do this by default, but at least > you will get your desired results. > > On a second note, I am just starting to play with hole callouts and am > trying to customize my callout file. But I have kind of a side question > regarding hole callouts. > > In my drawing, I prefer to create a section view thru the holes and have the > callout pointing to the hole in the section view. Currently, I use a note > with a leader pointing to the sectioned hole. To keep my "note" hole > callout somewhat parametric, I dimension the sectioned hole, link my note to > these dimensions, then hide these dimensions. First, this is also a PITA to > do. Second, there are limitations such as not being able to link to thread > pitches on tapped holes or with not being able to link to number of > instances on any hole type. That is why I am starting to play with the > built in hole callouts. > > My question: Is there a way to insert a SW hole callout to a sectioned view > of a hole rather than a top/bottom view of the hole? > -- > Seth Renigar > Emerald Tool and Mold Inc. > (Remove "SpamFree-" from my address) > >
> > In 2004 it's no longer possible to change the position of the number of > > hole instances. This is another of Solidworks ways to force people to > > use some type of standard. Why they do this I have no idea but you're > > SOL to change the location. > > > > R> > > Dave H... > > > > > > The text files control the format of the call out, but it does not > appear to > > > control the format of the number of hole instances... > > > > > > SW2003 did not do this, but SW2004 adds the number of hole instances > made in > > > a Hole sketch to the beginning of the callout in a drawing. > > > > > > Where in the text file can do you control of the number of instances? > > > > > > Ron > > >
Reply to
Jon R