Newbie ?? -- spokes in a wheel... won't make a circular pattern

Making a wooden wagon wheel assembly. I have parts for the hub and the circumference -- the tire will go on the latter.

They are both fixed to the origin and thus are concentric.

Both are extruded from sketch circles.

I first tried to create a boss/base extrude on the circumference, based on a circle sketch on a reference plane tangent to the outer face of the outer (circumference) ring and using the axis of the hub. That was grayed out.

I was able to create a cut-extrude. I was able to then turn that into

20 cut-extrudes arranged radially around the wheel.

Created a spoke (extruded circle), brought it into the asby, positioned it in the seed extrude-cut, thinking I could just do a circular pattern of spokes.

But circular pattern won't let me select the spoke. I get the hub axis, but click as I may, feature or face, nothing on the spoke will go into the Circular Pattern dialog.

What geometric, featuriffic, or SoldWorkian concept am I missing here? If I had a drill and cut dowels, I sure as heck could do this...

Dave G.

Reply to
Dave G

Are you sure that you are using component pattern in assembly mode?

Frank

"Dave G" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Frank Q

Well, not sure why you would have had problems based on what you said?

Here's an example in how I would approach a wagon wheel using a layout sketch and an axis in the assembly.

Also attached was a wagonwheel part file which I created initially but later broke down for the above assembly.

..

Dave G wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Yikes... thanks VERY much.

I've poked around a bit and can grasp just enough to see that the operator at this end is underpowered....

..and I wasn't even attempting the spoke shaving and angle cuts required for actual spokes.

I will now slide back into the woodwork and ponder these things, especially the function of the layout part. Again, thanks.

Dave G.

Reply to
Dave G

Hey Dave,

No problem, glad to help. I'm sure you will figure out what I laid out. Layouts are a fundamental part of most all designs, even old vellum board design, so that is why I showed it. But, some may use the layout in the assembly and if you prefer that as well, just copy and paste the layout sketch into the assembly and delete my layout sketch part, then relink the sketches (which fail) to the assembly layout sketch.

I re-uploaded another set of files which show a few configurations: Default (24" wheel)

36" (35" wheel) quarter assem (quarter rim and 3 spokes)

..

Dave G wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador