Another Newbie question

I have a cylinder as below

I am having problems offsetting the holes from the ends of the cylinder. I have created the holes using a 3d sketch to constrain a point coincient to the external cylinder face and dimensioned it 25mm from the end face.

Now this all works well, untill I change the length of the extrude that created the cylinder. If I make the cylinder longer the holes stay in place. If I shrink the cylinder by more than the vaule of the dimension the hole filps to the other side of the cylinder end, see the pic below....

Is there a way to constrain the point so that it stays in the right place as the cylinders length is changed?

Thanks

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

Stephen,

One simple solution (of many possible ways) is to create the cylinder as a revolve instead of an extrude. This has the advantage of giving you a sketch that you can hang construction lines/points off to create your hole plane. It is much more robust to make incontext relationships to sketches rather than features.

Merry :-)

Reply to
Merry Owen

the holes are always the same distance from the end, no matter what the cylinder length. That is, if I understand you correctly.

-Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

Maybe I'm missing something, but the simplest to me is create the cylinder as 2 circles and extrude - normal procedure. Then looking at it from the side, sketch the top & bottom hole on the center plane, dimension each from its respective end and extrude cut out one direction through all. Then create the circular pattern to put in the rest of the holes. I tried it and it worked just fine - am I missing something??

WT

Wayne Tiffany