How to make a circular and rectangular cut on a curved surface in SW

Hello I am a student,
I am trying to draw a circular cut and a rectangular cut on a _curved_
surface. The cut I am trying to do is on the curved face of a cylinder.
I know how to make a cut on a flat surface, but how do I do this on a
_curved_
surface.
Please give step by step description if possible. I am a newbie.
Regards
Hyd man.
Reply to
hydraulicsman
Hello Hyd man,
I'm sure that the good doctor will pipe up soon enough, butg in the mean time here is his tutorial on making a barrel cam.
We here at comp.cad.solidworks discussed this ad nasium when the doctor was putting it together. If you spend a few minutes searching for "barrel cam" I'm sure you'll come across it. It makes very good reading.
Muggs
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
Reply to
Muggs
I read the original post as just wanting to drive a circle or square through a curved surface, as in putting a fitting into the side of a hydraulic reservoir, which is not the same conclusion that Muggs discerned. Please elaborate a bit so we know what your intent is.
WT
Wayne Tiffany
OK, after rereading the OP maybe that's what he's looking for. I just assumed that he wanted to "follow" the curved surface.
Hyd man, please elaborate.
Muggs
Wayne Tiffany wrote:
Muggs
Hydman, A sketch used to extrude cut can only be drawn on a planar face (flat), or a plane. Seeing that the cylinder is definitely not a planar face, the plane is the option for you. Let's assume that you sketched the original circle to extrude the cylinder on the front plane, then you will find that both the top and right plane intersect the cylinder in the middle. Let's also assume that you sketched your origial circle at 50 MM, that means that both your top and right planes are 25 MM inward from the outer edge. Simply hold the control key down and drag either plane 25 MM to the outer edge of the cylinder, this will create "plane1". Making sure that plane 1 is selected, go "normal to" that plane and the view will shift dead in front for you, at this point, change to sketch mode and draw any shape that you want to extrude cut through the cylinder, either to a blind dimension, or "through all". Good luck, G. De Angelis De Angelistool Tool Valhalla Grafix

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
Reply to
G. De Angelis
Hi, I wanted something similar to drive a fitting in to the side of a hyd cylinder yes. I actually found out how to do it. I used 3D sketch to place a point at the face of the cylinder. Then attached a reference plane to that point. I sketched a circle on that reference plane. Then I extruded tru the cylinder.
Regards Hyd Man
Hi, Muggs wrote:

hydraulicsman

Site Timeline