Boring Holes into Curved Surface

Imagine a cylinder, but cut in half so that the cross section of
the object looks like a half-moon. I am trying to bore holes (fastener
holes, couterbores, etc) into the curved surface of the half-cylinder, but
(of course) perpendicular to its flat plane.
I have tried 2D sketch on the flat plane, an offset 2D sketch
(both above the curved surface and intersecting it), and a 3D sketch, but
I cannot get the holes to bore into the surface using the Hole Wizard. I
either get an error or the holes bore from the other (flat) side, which is
not the side I want.
What is the easiest way to get what I want? Any help? Thanks very
much,
Curry
Reply to
Curry Taylor
Well, the problem with this is that I have no idea what fastener holes I need yet; the design constraints could change. It's also easier to see how different holes and hole features behave if you use the Smart Dimension after putting the hole in with your design. I have to put holes in around edges, so I have to make sure there is enough material to keep it sturdy.
I'm sure there is a way to do what I proposed, but I don't know the proper way. Thanks,
Curry
Reply to
Curry Taylor
If you select the Hole Wizard feature before selecting the surface you want to put the hole on the Hole Wizard creates a 3d Sketch for locating the hole.
I created a Flash video below to demonstrate.
Associated file
John Layne

John Layne
Nice demo, though I wouldn't use so much reference geometry.
If the holes won't be intersecting the axis of the cylinder, it will probably be necessary to cut-extrude some flats into the curved face before adding the HW holes. Depending on the holes and the size of the flats, some sort of clean-up features may be necessary.
Reply to
Dale Dunn
Thanks John!
That's exactly what I want, except I need the counterbores to be perpendicular to the flat face of the object (and off-center). But I can generalize from what you have already shown.
Thanks again!
Curry
Reply to
Curry Taylor