safe dial numbers! map sketch to surface?

Hi, I am modeling a safe dial and I need a way to draw the numbers on a slanted, curved surface. I have no idea how to do this! Any ideas?

Rebecca

Reply to
hinden

Hi, I am modeling a safe dial and I need a way to draw the numbers on a slanted, curved surface. I have no idea how to do this! Any ideas?

Rebecca

Reply to
hinden

Do you need actually embossed numbers or just a representation? For a representation you could create a circular sketch on a plane parallel to the dial face. Then use sketch text and constrain it to the circle (2005 and on feature I think). Finally use split face to project the numbers onto the dial and get your shape. Now depending how curved your dial face is you won't get perfect letters, but I'm thinking the face shouldn't be two crazy and this will work fine.

Now if you want embossed letters you can do the same thing but extrude the sketch and use the offset from surface option so that you get nice rounded letters.

Reply to
Mr. Who