Sketch relations

Is there a way of controlling which types of sketch relations are added automatically, and which are not? It seems you either have to have them all on or all off.

I prefer to define lines to be parallel or perpendicular rather than horizontal/vertical, and it irks me no end that I have to manually delete the horiz/vert relations. In I-Deas, there is an RMB function that pops up a window with tick boxes for which relations you want it to create or recognise (the latter being a bit like the mates option "use for positioning only").

I'm on SW2004 - has it been improved since then? Do people feel it would be worth an enhancement request?

Regards, John Harland

Reply to
John H

The functionality you are wanting became available in SW2006. You can specify which relation you want to automatically infer during sketching. You still have the ability to add any of the relations at any time (after you have created the sketch geometry). It simply allows better control over the automatic relations as you are sketching.

An alternative for you would be to hold down the ctrl key as you are sketching. This temporarily turns off automatic relations so you can add whatever you want afterwards.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

I know of no way to do what you want. However what I do is draw my sketch away from anything that would capture any external relations. Draw your vertical and horizontal lines at a slight angle, then you can go back and add the ones you want. It will save you having to delete the relations you don't want. You could also turn off automatic relations in the options.

Hope this helps. Mike

Reply to
SW-Mike

Hi Seth,

Thanks for the info - sounds like SW2006 will give exactly me what I'm looking for. I've not been pushing for us to upgrade (we have the discs/licenses) because of the ongoing bad press in this forum about the bugs. When there is a stable release I'll do the upgrade.

Regards, John

Reply to
John H

Good luck with that.... Your going to need it!!!

Reply to
Seth Renigar

"Seth Renigar" wrote

It seems every CAD vendor has at least one really bad release. For Autocad it was 13, for I-Deas it was 8 (though even that was pretty much sorted by sp3 !!).

I'm new to SWX - are they usually this bad?

Regards, John

Reply to
John H

I think it always takes 3-4 bug fixes to really stabilize an SP0 release and I don't care whether it is Windows XP or MacOSX.

I found SWks 2006 SP3.1 OK for me doing plastic part designs, and 3.4 seems the same, because I didn't have any things "bugging me" in 3.1.

Heavy intensive use of SWks and its add-ons means more irregularities will be found and maybe then SP4 or SP5 will be when things smooth out...each years release.

In one way as a user, we bitch about this, but in another, this software is amongst the most complex a single user is likely to run.

We always have the ability to "stand still" on say 2005 SP5 and wait

2-3 years before upgrading. But then I would have missed the Mold Flow built in, which I find extremely valuable.

Bo

John H wrote:

Reply to
Bo

Hmmm, typed too fast.

"We always have the ability to "stand still" on say 2005 SP5 and wait

2-3 years before upgrading."

I should have noted moving from 2004 to 2005 to get the Mold Flow Express.

Later - Bo

Reply to
Bo

Honestly, I can't comment. All I have ever used as far as a 3D package is SW. Been using it since '96.

I realize that all software has bugs. It's just that over the past several releases, you never know whether a SP is going to break something that you use on a regular basis or not. In the early days, you didn't have to worry about it. You would apply a SP, then move on and enjoy the bugs that were fixed. Nothing ever broke. This isn't the case anymore.

Reply to
Seth Renigar