normal to a surface in an assembly

If I want to get a view that is perpendicular to a flat surface in an assembly, not sure how to do it. I know that if I click on edit component and pick a plane for sketching I can get normal to that surface. But if I just want to view a surface normal to it (i.e. perpendicular) how do I do it? Thanks for any help, folks in this group are really great.

Reply to
billyb

Pick the face you want, ctrl-pick another face that you want "up", then hit the Normal-to icon on the view toolbar. If you want to save that view, hit the spacebar and define a new view.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

When you say "UP" do you mean a face that is norma to the first face picked?

Reply to
billyb

No, the face you want sort of toward the top of the screen. Sometimes when you hit the normal-to button, you get a view normal to that face, but the part is lying on its side. To force a particular orientation of normal-to, you ctrl-pick a second face that you want sort of "up" toward the top of the screen and when you hit the button, it tells it which normal to go to.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany