Hole Wizard

Utilizing the hole wizard, I'm puting in a hole into a plate. I want to use the offset from surface option for the hole depth. I understand that if I utilize a plane as the reference this distance is measured towards the sketch plane. I want the distance to be in the opposite direction. In Proe I use to be able to put in negative values to determine direction from a plane. This doesn't seem that it can be done in Solidworks without me creating another plane or am I missing something?

This same reference datum plane is also being used for a offset from surface option for other hole depths, but in the correct direction.

Reply to
krupnikas

Cannot use negative values as you have discovered. There has been some discussions regarding negative dimension values going back a couple of months. I just tried creating a tapped hole using offset and it will not allow me to select a plane or surface.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

You can apply the hole and then edit the sketch but do not delete the dimensions. You can make them driven though and drag the lines they control until it is going the right direction. Then you have to invert the drill point also. (this was for a simple hole I don't know what complications you run into using Tapped hole and what not.) Once you have manually flipped it you can edit the hole back to what you want using the wizard.

Probably more work than it is worth but it is a possibility.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

I've never used the hole wizard, but in a normal extrude you just check "Reverse offset" to change the direction of the offset.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

You *can* use negative dimensions for limit mates and for the Copy/Move bodies function. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, for Copy/Move it is the

*only* way to change the direction of the thing.

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley

To be honest, I do not use limit mates and seldom copy/move in my work. Maybe I should be and don't know it?

Thanks, Kman

Reply to
Kman

Not really. I wsa just pointing out what I feel is a SW inconsistency. There is no reason that these two functions require negative values, yet they are allowed. In places where you would like to have negative values, you cannot. It can be aggravating.

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley

It's the same with section views. If you don't drag the section plane, you have to use negative values to get to the other side. SolidWorks: consistently inconsistent!