Hole Wizard - Fixed Constraint

I was told by my SW instructor that when using the Hole Wizard, I should pick the surface first, then use the wizard, then go back and dimension my point. (He said it just seemed to work better that way.) When I do this, the wizard automatically puts a Fixed constraint on the point where I first picked the surface. Is there a setting I can change so it doesn't put that constrain on it? I don't remember it doing that when I was in the classroom.

Thanks.

Reply to
Relz

Are you sure the constraint is really there, or are you just seeing the option of selecting it? Grab the point and move it. If it is, in fact, fixed, delete the relationship and put in your dimensions.

Sometimes I do as your instructor suggests - drop in the one threaded hole (or whatever) and finish the wizard. Then I go back in and dimension that first one and add more if necessary. The other way, if I remember in time, is after the first point is in, click 3 more places (or whatever) to place the other points on the surface. Then dimension them and finish the wizard. I think a lot of it is in how your thought process goes as to which way is easier.

Now, another point (har, har), if you start the wizard first, then pick the face, you will get a 3D sketch rather than a 2D sketch for the points. This will sometimes cause problems down the road so I usually try to avoid 3D sketches unless I need them for the application.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I think the second sketch of a HW hole should have a fix constraint at the hole origin. The fisrt sketch of a HW hole should not have any constraints you didn't add. Which sketch are you editing?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I click on the surface I want to put the hole in. Then I hit the Hole Wizard button, select the tap size, set my depths to "up to next" for both the "tap drill type and depth" and the "thread type and depth" (going through one wall of a tube) then click "Next". It then brings up the "Hole Placement" dialog box. The spot where I clicked the surface to highlight it before beginning the Hole Wizard now has a point. If I click on the point (after deselecting the point button), it has a fixed constraint added to it under "existing relations". This is where I need to delete the Fixed0 relation so I can add dims to where I want the hole to be.

Is there any way to change the settings so it leaves the point floating and doesn't add any constraints to it at all?

Relz

Reply to
Relz

I figured it out. Go to Tools, system options, sketch, "Use fully defined sketches". Turn that nonsense off.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Thanks Dale, you are a genious!

Reply to
Relz

Good job - I have always had that turned off, so mine worked fine.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany