SW 2006 Hole wizard..

Well the engineer left for a better job. It was a good move for him but not for me...:) I worked with SW 2004 for some time before but now need to get up to speed on SW2006, them on the 2007 most likely...

Stuck on the hole wizard stuff. Looks to be a real time saver,but... Building a drive roll for a machine and need to put two 1/4-20 set screws 90 deg. apart in the side of a Round Disk.... I.E. pulley. I seem to remember just sketching on the round surface back in 2004, but it has been awhile.

Just how does one go about dimensioning/positioning a point on the outside surface that the hole wizard will accept? Have tried sketching a circle and extruding, sketching the shape and revolving... doesn't seem to mater..

Are there any tutorials for the hole wizard?

It is just amazing how an old machinist can get dependant on a new engineer....:)

st

Reply to
St

Pick the surface of the shaft first and then the hole wizard. That will do two things. First the location sketch will become a 3D sketch. Second, the locating point will be coincident to the surface. You will then have to constrain and dimension the point to the proper location.

Reply to
TOP

Well that sounds simple....but I just can't seem to make it work like it seems it should... The problem I'm having is alineing one hole with a keyway slot in the 'pully's' shaft hole...

st

Reply to
St

Try creating a plane tangent to the surface you wish to put the hole in. Create a spotface the diameter of the hole you wish to create and approximately .010" deep. Select the bottom of the spotface as the surface for the hole, open Hole Wizard and proceed as you would on any flat surface. It works all the time.

If you make the hole depth equal to "up to next", the hole callout annotation will say that the hole is "thru" not "thru all".

BB

Reply to
Bruce Bretschneider

Thanks will give this a try on Monday... back to work after a week of loafing.. st

Reply to
St

No, I just could not seem to get the plane to work ... concept not filling head I guess.

I did manage to .... draw a 3D sketch on surface and use that with a Coincident mate to the sketch line and then set the distance from the face of the part.. Not sure it's the 'best' way. But the old mind got a handle on it..

Thanks again st

Reply to
St

Did you try to pick the surface first then if you want one hole RMB and pick select. Then you can do the dim thing or locate from orgin.

The hole wizard is noun first then verb I think its the only command that works that way. BACKWARDS. But when you get it to work it works very well.

Steve

St wrote:

Reply to
Steve

What I was having trouble with is trying to line up a 1/4-20 tap 'hole wizard' with a keyway slot in a "pully".... 3d sketch worked for me... just the way my old head does things I guess... started out on paper drawings a long time ago....

st..

Reply to
St