SW 2007 Upgrade

I know that this question has probably been asked before, but I want to get some recent opinions on Solidworks 2007. We are currently using

2006 SP4.1 and before I upgrade everything I wanted to find out how stable it is. We just received the DVD from our VAR, but am hesitant to install without finding out how stable it is. Why fix 2006 SP4.1 when it is stable for us kind of thought process.

I am far more interested in everyone's experienced opinion on the new release, and much less interested in the personal attacks that I see in many of the other threads of this nature.

Thank you for your input.

Reply to
AZGLI

The best thing to look at is all the what's new stuff - will any of it benefit you? If not, why bother other than you already paid for it.

But if you see some value there, load a machine (not upgrade the current installation) with 2007 and try several of your files to see how they go. Just remember to not save over the top of anything until you are sure you want to proceed.

I have been using it for several weeks, as well as the beta versions, and there are enough benefits to the stuff we do that I'm all for it. Some bugs still, sure, but no show stoppers at this point. I'm rollin.....

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Our most important reason to migrate or not is that your customers have migrated or not. You see, you must all chouse to do it together. The first one to do it forces all others to update, since you can not open a 2007 model with 2006 no mater what. Once you do it you can't go back!

Reply to
marksv1

Wayne has the best suggestion I've heard, and that is load up a "machine" or new hard drive w/SWks 2007 and test drive it on copied files, leaving all 'normal' work back on the old machines &/or hard drives.

I tend to do the same with OS upgrades, so I can always have an easy fall-back position.

Bo

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Reply to
Bo

You have to consider several factors.

  1. Will it work with your existing assemblies, parts, and drawings? You need to do some amount of testing to determine this. You need to search SPR lists. You need to search the NG and other sources for things that might have changed or been broken. The NG is strewn with people who didn't do this and regretted it later.

  1. Will it work in creating parts, assemblies and drawings in the way that you are used to working? Any macros broken? Procedures that need changing? Configs, design tables, sheetmetal tables, etc. need changing? You have to to a little test project to get a feel for this question.

  2. As was mentioned, are there any new features that you can't live without? When I looked at what's new for my situation there were very few new things that impacted me.

  1. Cost of converting. It is a good idea to convert files. This can take appreciable time and potentially cause some level of hand fixup. If you don't convert load and rebuild times can be greatly impacted.

  2. Cost of retraining to use the new features. See 3. If you don't need to use any new features or have to retrain to use existing features that have been repackaged this needs to be factored in.

And my favorite all time question, can you stand the performance hit of upgrading?

Reply to
TOP

Reply to
RaceBikesOrWork

I was at a SW usergroup meeting one month ago. A SW Program Manager asked the question "how many of you are using 2007", to my knowledge none of the

35-40 attendees raised there hand. The program manager looked a bit surprised at the response.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Was that in markham?