SW2006 x64 Edition

Anyone plan on testing/evaluating this version?

Reply to
remy martin

I've got all the hardware and software, except for the 4GB RAM, that's not in my budget yet.

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

I have some test results from Wayne. It definitely allows you to use more ram, but SW doesn't seem to want to use paged out virtual memory. IIRC he got one more iteration than normal on Patbench. The other penalty is performance. Although you can load a larger assembly, performance suffers, possibly because the application is not native 64 bits. If you do go this route, plan on getting the fastest processor you can afford. This probably means the high end FX5x AMD processors or Opterons on a motherboard that can load lots of RAM.

Reply to
TOP

How about dual Opterons, any information about this set up? This is what I have in a box, waiting for further funds.

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

There was some benchmarking done a while back with Opterons. They are fast. Duals won't help much unless you are using PhotoWorks or the new functionality in the Drawing package. The reason I mention Opterons is that they work on the server motherboards which can be obtained with slots for more memory.

Reply to
TOP

Let me re-phrase,

I'm referring to the Solidworks 2006 x64 Edition Beta 1 Software (i.e native

64 bit application). If you go to Solidworks downloads, it's sitting right.there.
Reply to
remy martin

True, but you've got to have the correct hardware to use it.

Devon

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

I haven't seen that yet. I think Wayne was running ordinary SW on a

64bit OS. I am not sure that the Beta is native 64 bit.

remy mart> Let me re-phrase,

Reply to
TOP

look under sp1.1

Reply to
remy martin

It is native 64 bit and runs only on x64 hardware. It is a completely different version. We have started testing of beta1 and beta 2 which is mid-to-late Nov. will include Cosmos and all languages (right now only english, German and Japanese.)

If you're interested you can register and download at

Regards Mark Biasotti SolidWorks

Reply to
mbiasotti

I stand corrected.

Might even take all five seats of SW in that direction since we now have dual core AMD's on line. We would have to swing XP64 though.

Mark is eDrawings and DWGEditor in SW plans for 64 bit? We use eDrawings heavily and DWGEditor I hope will take over from 16 bit FastCad.

Reply to
TOP

remy martin

Looks and functions the same, except performance, where there is a notable difference. Wish I could use this in production (we're still using '05).

Reply to
remy martin

more multi threading ??

Reply to
neil

Not sure on the inner workings of the software. I'm a little surprised at the lack of enthusiasm both here and on the Solidworks Beta Forum. It appears that cynicism has finally taken over.

Reply to
remy martin

well probably it's viewed as more of the same - fatigue? - but with support for newer hardware...and really SW haven't given it much publicity. so the only virtues apparent to you so far are support for large memory and some speed gains? BTW beta forums are usually fairly dead as can be this group - engineers are not a very excitable lot apparently... not much into debate and banter...

Reply to
neil

not a lot of humour either :o) ....very unprofessional.

Reply to
neil

Support for more memory and speed losses.

Reply to
TOP

I am keen to see how others are getting on with it. But I can't participate until I get new hardware and I wont get new hardware until SolidWorks has gone native 64bit and is stable.

There are just too many bits of cutting edge technology coming together here. I've been cut too many times and just can't afford the downtime at the moment to use SolidWorks 2006 let alone a 64bit version.

I'll give it six months or so, possibly even wait till SolidWorks 2007 has been released before I'll use SolidWorks 2006 in production. Unless forced to upgrade by a client even then I'll install on a second machine so I can do the majority of work in 2005.

John Layne

John Layne

that's disappointing to read....I guess it will end up being about on par with the existing version then.

I was hoping SW would seize 64 bit and multicore as a golden opportunity to take a fresh approach to the program. :o(

Reply to
neil