Im taking the CSWP exam @ SW World 2007, any tips/suggestions?

Ive been a SolidWorks user since Nov 2001. Taking the CSWP exam is something ive been putting off for awhile. The last time I researched it, I was told the best way to study for it is to go thru all of the training books. The training books I have are from SW 2001+. Will these books be adequate, or is there something else I can use to better prepare for the exam?

Please post your tips/suggestions on taking the CSWP exam.

Anyone know the ratio to pass/fail for the exam?

How long do they give you to take the exam?

How much of the exam is multiple choice questions? (any fill-in-blanks ?)

Reply to
SW Monkey

SW Monkey, at start I have to warn you that I can't give you very specific tips/details on the test, because this would be a breach of the agreement which I electronically signed at the beginning of the exam. after saying this continue reading my answers after your quoted post paragraphs....

I barely passed the exam with the grade of 81 % (paasing grade is 80 % and over). I never had any formal training (VAR courses etc.), besides the help files and online tutorials which are supplied with the software, and my personal expiriance which was made in my previous workplaces. if you have official training material, then i think it is a good idea to go over it once more, although it is quite out dated, the basic principels are the same.

Time management is critical. Don't get stucked on little points which don't work as they should! Continue to what you do good, and at the end, when you still have time left, return to the points which you felt uncofident with.

Got no clue about that. the only guys who can answer this are the SolidWorks guys themselvs.

8 hours. 2 hours for the litteral part, but if you finish it quicker then that, then the left over time is added to the hands-on part.
2 hours maximum, 50 Questions.
Reply to
Gil Alsberg

Gil, thanks for the info.

Another question regarding the multiple choice, do they allow you to use SolidWorks? I would guess No, but I just want to make sure. I took the sample test on SolidWorks website. One of the questions was "You cannot use the hole wizard on a cylindrical part. True/False". The answer is False, but I had to open up SolidWorks, since I havent tried this in a long time.

Reply to
SW Monkey

My main comment is that you have to know things about the latest version - in this case SW2007. I was surprised to find that out at the beginning of the test and since I hadn't even been using the newest version yet, I was at a disadvantage. So, study the What's New, the new tutorials, etc. Be comfortable and familiar with areas that you don't often use. Look at lofts, look at sweeps, look at "up to surface", etc. You get to choose a special category (I chose sheet metal) but there are also general modeling areas that you have to pass.

As far as taking the test, my advice is always that the first thing you do is take the time to do a general read through the whole booklet. That way you have a general idea of what all is in there. Then read it again and look at the details of everything. Then start taking the test. I don't know how many times I have heard someone say that they didn't realize "THAT" was going to be a factor. Hmm, reading the instructions would have solved that.

The test also does a good job of telling you what is important and what will be checked for grading, so pay attention. If it says that "this" has to update when "that" is changed, make sure you try it, and that it does.

The time I took it we had something like 50% pass.

WT

SW M> Ive been a SolidWorks user since Nov 2001. Taking the CSWP exam is

Reply to
WT

As I remember, the true/false section is off the cuff - no help allowed. During the modeling portion, you can use the Help, but if you have to look up very much, you will run out of time.

WT

SW M> > > How much of the exam is multiple choice questions? (any fill-in-blanks > > > ?)

Reply to
WT

I gave myself an hour a day to read through the help files, starting at the top of the index tree and working down everypage. It was pretty boring, BUT I passed with 95% and learned quite a bit a long the way - stuff that having pretty much taught myself I had overlooked or simply didn't know about; tricks that now I use all the time!

I took notes too, just on the stuff that was new to me, so I could jog my memory if needed. And when you see something you didn't know about have a play with it on a part, just to get familiar. Some of the questions need you to properly KNOW some stuff, not just know of it's existance!

Reply to
Lee Bazalgette - factorydesign

"Lee Bazalgette - factorydesign" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@proxy01.news.clara.net...

Wondering how many days that equates to?

The answer may help motivate me to actually do the exam : )

John Layne

John Layne

well, it takes a little while. My motivation was that I would only get one shot at the exam since it's expensive, so I thought I'd better make sure I passed it!

The trouble is that it's hard not to skim read when you think you know a lot of the stuff already, but that's when you miss some little detail that could actually make the difference. That's why I only did an hour each day, so as not to die of boredom!

"John Layne"

Reply to
Lee Bazalgette - factorydesign

I know one guy who took the test sometime ago and always tells new people that you should to read the Tip of Day in the Task Pane. There's actually a few good tips in there, but a lot of general stuff as well. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find where all the tips are stored, so I've scrolled through most of them just to see what's in there.

Steve O

Reply to
SteveO

What's the payout for taking the exam? I haven't seen ANY job descriptions in my neck of the woods that says "must be SW certified".

Kman

Reply to
Kman