3rd request for DVD payment received today

The letters keep saying they will not contact me again if I do nothing.
What a crock.
3rd letter arrived this afternoon.
They just might not receive my $58 renewal fee come this December...
Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople
I sent letters Schwyn, Brown and my district VP. Hopefully the VP will remember that it's an elected office. Maybe I'll follow up with an email asking him his position on turning the AMA into some sleazy book-of-the-month club?
As long as my local flying field requires membership I'll have to stay joined; I think it's time to use my voting rights on this one.
------------------------------------------- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services
Tim Wescott
For all the thing the AMA does for this hobby and your miffed about junk mail? Go fly a plane. mk
Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers
I notice your e-mail address isn't valid. Why is that?
Reply to
Brian
Because spammers automatically harvest email addresses from newsgroups, that's why. Note my email address in this post -- then if you do what it says you'll find that the email there is a little .gif file so it's human readable but not machine-readable (yet).
I still get spammed, but not as much as my old email address.
Reply to
Tim Wescott
That was my idea of busting Storm's chops. He doesn't seem to like junk mail any more than the rest of us.
Reply to
Brian
Ah. Frankly that DVD mail ticks me off no end -- but I just remember that the AMA is run by an elective body and I can vote. That gives my questions weight. And if they don't get responded to, well, I have a vote.
------------------------------------------- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services
Tim Wescott
spam all you have to do is ask. Michael J Kolodziej
mk'
Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers
I'm not going to quit usenet or my ISP because of it. mk
Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers
Very good, please use your vote. Can't vote if you don't belong. mk
Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers
Tim Wescott wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:
I don't know about others. I failed to send in payment or return the DVD, got a letter that AMA hadn't heard from me. I sent payment for the DVD and wrote a note on the bill I didn't want them sending me any more DVD's, contrary to their policy of pay for one they send another until you cancel.
Haven't had them send me another DVD since.
I'd prefer instead to buy through their AMA store, individually as I choose. However, I haven't seen anything about a library of DVD's or such.
Don't know why that's not an option.
Reply to
High Plains Thumper
Voted with my checkbook! Booted AMA! And can still fly when I want. Fly with a great bunch of guys too. Some are AMA but most are not. Didn't use to be that way though. Wonder why?
Reply to
Chuck Jones
Complain to the postmaster... It'll stop pretty fast if the Post Offic
gets involved. Viloation of fedral law to demand payment for something you didn' order. (and its not the AMA sending the letters... its the group th AMA made the mistake of selling the address list to)
Then... next renewal.. CHECK TTHE BOX that says youdon't want to ge the promotions.
And... you can call the AMA office and get them to make it effectiv immediately (which means they won't have your name in the list the sell to a group next week)
Its partly your own dumb fault for not checking the box....
Probably you're in the 50% of votes that got sent in to the AMA stil attached to the renewal frm which became void. (if you bothered to sen in your ballot at all) because you don't seem to read the instructions (or you'd have never gotten the DVD in the first place
-- fhhuber50677 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- fhhuber506771's Profile:
this thread:
fhhuber506771
Thing with me is that they claimed "You will not hear from us again" on the first letter. And the second one. And this, the third one. So how much of my dues are going to these requests for money over and over again? As many have stated, I never ordered the damned thing in the first place and I highly resent the AMA requesting money for it or my time and gas money to take it back to the post office to return it. Shouldnt have sent it to me in the first place.
Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople
Not only that they said we could keep it. Yes, it's quite irritating.
Probably none. It appears that they've contracted with some marketing company to do it -- the AMA probably gets some small cut of the profits in return for the company using it's name. If I recall correctly the original mailing had something like "promise keepers wholesale" or some such on it.
Amen.
Amen again. So write to someone in the AMA instead of just bitching here. _We_ all agree with you. The folks who run the AMA, supposedly on our behalf, need to know your opinion.
------------------------------------------- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services
Tim Wescott
No, we do not all agree with him. This was such a simple thing to stop if you do not wish to receive any that the bitching is incredible. All you had to do was check the box that said I do not want anymore of these and place the PREPAID label on the box and send it back. You did notice the prepaid label did you not. Everyone receives mail somehow--either at home or at a post office box--so returning it is a simple deal however you pick up your mail.
AMA has stated many times that this promotion did not cost the AMA anything. They were simply trying to raise money and keep dues down. Almost anyone you have dealings with, sells your personal info to raise money. How do you think you get on all those junkmail and telemarketing lists. -- Marvin
Reply to
Marvin
Yes I did notice the box with the prepaid label. I also noticed the very clear statement in the letter that said I didn't have to pay for the DVD, so I chucked the box. Are you saying that it's stupid to believe something with the AMA's stamp of approval on it?
It isn't the money, it's the dishonesty that bothers me.
Reply to
Tim Wescott
Ok, marv. Lets say I send you an unsolicited bauble and a bill, and keep sending you bills for the bauble. You jump through all the hoops I've set up but I will still send you bills anyway because I have no notion of honesty in the first place. I doubt this is a simple thing to stop, even simpler to not send a bill in the first place, eh?
To that lets add that the bauble scammer got my name from the AMA who takes my money and sells my info to this unscrupulous bauble peddler.
I tend to agree with Fubar, though Tim did cast some bait with the "all" keyword.
You seem willing to support the AMA's actions in this regard, please explain why it is ok for the AMA to engage dishonest practices (by whatever mechanism), to the dismay of a lot of their paying members, for a few bucks?
Reply to
Steve Banks
For Tim and Steve:
They did give you a simple way out. All you had to do was check the box, put the prepaid mailer on; and send it back. Now, after doing this, if I get anymore DVD's, then a person would have a legitimate complaint against AMA. If it makes you feel better to keep the UNSOLICITED dvd, then you should have still checked the box where it said I do not wish to receive anymore of these; and put the prepaid mail label on and sent it back empty. That would teach them!
I would agree it might have been better if they had put a notice in the mag that they were thinking about doing this; and asked for members input. The fact remains; they did give you an easy way out. By trhe way, I thought the DVD wasn't very good anyway.
Reply to
Marvin
May I suggest you return it directly to Dave Brown. Along with your AMA card and a request that he see to it the AMA never darkens your door again. I'm sure if he gets enough like that, even the great DB will get the idea!
Reply to
Chuck Jones