3rd request for DVD payment received today

The letters keep saying they will not contact me again if I do nothing. What a crock. 3rd letter arrived this afternoon.
They just might not receive my $58 renewal fee come this December...
--
Dan
AMA605992
Fubar of The HillPeople wrote:

I sent letters Schwyn, Brown and my district VP. Hopefully the VP will remember that it's an elected office. Maybe I'll follow up with an email asking him his position on turning the AMA into some sleazy book-of-the-month club?
As long as my local flying field requires membership I'll have to stay joined; I think it's time to use my voting rights on this one.
------------------------------------------- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com

I don't know about others. I failed to send in payment or return the DVD, got a letter that AMA hadn't heard from me. I sent payment for the DVD and wrote a note on the bill I didn't want them sending me any more DVD's, contrary to their policy of pay for one they send another until you cancel.
Haven't had them send me another DVD since.
I'd prefer instead to buy through their AMA store, individually as I choose. However, I haven't seen anything about a library of DVD's or such.
Don't know why that's not an option.
--
HPT

Thing with me is that they claimed "You will not hear from us again" on the first letter. And the second one. And this, the third one. So how much of my dues are going to these requests for money over and over again? As many have stated, I never ordered the damned thing in the first place and I highly resent the AMA requesting money for it or my time and gas money to take it back to the post office to return it. Shouldnt have sent it to me in the first place.
--
Dan
AMA605992
Fubar of The HillPeople wrote:

Not only that they said we could keep it. Yes, it's quite irritating.

Probably none. It appears that they've contracted with some marketing company to do it -- the AMA probably gets some small cut of the profits in return for the company using it's name. If I recall correctly the original mailing had something like "promise keepers wholesale" or some such on it.

Amen.
Amen again. So write to someone in the AMA instead of just bitching here. _We_ all agree with you. The folks who run the AMA, supposedly on our behalf, need to know your opinion.
------------------------------------------- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com
Tim wrote:

No, we do not all agree with him. This was such a simple thing to stop if you do not wish to receive any that the bitching is incredible. All you had to do was check the box that said I do not want anymore of these and place the PREPAID label on the box and send it back. You did notice the prepaid label did you not. Everyone receives mail somehow--either at home or at a post office box--so returning it is a simple deal however you pick up your mail.
AMA has stated many times that this promotion did not cost the AMA anything. They were simply trying to raise money and keep dues down. Almost anyone you have dealings with, sells your personal info to raise money. How do you think you get on all those junkmail and telemarketing lists. -- Marvin
Marvin wrote:

Yes I did notice the box with the prepaid label. I also noticed the very clear statement in the letter that said I didn't have to pay for the DVD, so I chucked the box. Are you saying that it's stupid to believe something with the AMA's stamp of approval on it?

It isn't the money, it's the dishonesty that bothers me.
Tim Wescott
Ok, marv. Lets say I send you an unsolicited bauble and a bill, and keep sending you bills for the bauble. You jump through all the hoops I've set up but I will still send you bills anyway because I have no notion of honesty in the first place. I doubt this is a simple thing to stop, even simpler to not send a bill in the first place, eh?
To that lets add that the bauble scammer got my name from the AMA who takes my money and sells my info to this unscrupulous bauble peddler.
I tend to agree with Fubar, though Tim did cast some bait with the "all" keyword.
You seem willing to support the AMA's actions in this regard, please explain why it is ok for the AMA to engage dishonest practices (by whatever mechanism), to the dismay of a lot of their paying members, for a few bucks?

had
anything.
you
For Tim and Steve:
They did give you a simple way out. All you had to do was check the box, put the prepaid mailer on; and send it back. Now, after doing this, if I get anymore DVD's, then a person would have a legitimate complaint against AMA. If it makes you feel better to keep the UNSOLICITED dvd, then you should have still checked the box where it said I do not wish to receive anymore of these; and put the prepaid mail label on and sent it back empty. That would teach them!
I would agree it might have been better if they had put a notice in the mag that they were thinking about doing this; and asked for members input. The fact remains; they did give you an easy way out. By trhe way, I thought the DVD wasn't very good anyway.
--
Marvin & Sue

First of all, when you joined the AMA you gave no consent, specific or implied that allows the AMA to provide your name, address, etc to anyone outside the AMA. In fact, they can't even hand it out to anyone within the AMA except as it pertains to official AMA business.
Granted! This kind of stuff does happen all the time. But that doesn't make it right or legal. The problem is most people are unaware of their real rights and fail to defend them. So the AMA and every other fly by night outfit gets to make money off your information. A good lawyer could have them on their knees in short order.

There is no prepaid mailer UNLESS you are sending back the box with the DVD. In my case, by the time I got the box open to see what it was, it was pretty much destroyed as far as being able to mail anything in it.
The enclosed letter, and the following THREE "bills" offer only TWO options: Check here: I am keeping the DVD and sending in my $9 Check here: I am returning the DVD, don't send me any more.
All of the letters clearly state that I am under no obligation, yet they have sent three followup "bills" since the initial mailing.
They should not have even put a notice in the mag that they were going to do this. They should not have done it this way PERIOD. They should not have given our personal information to a third party. They should not have send unsolicited DVDs in the mail. Notice given in the mag would have made no difference... they still would have been sent, or we would have been required to A) Notice that they had published the notice, and B) Take some kind of step to opt-out of the program.
AMA flatly denies that the company responsible for the DVD promotion is selling or distrobuting our information, yet shortly after receiving the DVD, I got "spammed" from snipped-for-privacy@warplaneswarehouse.com After I notified AMA of this, I received the following response from Tom Schwyn: "I received your email from Rich Hanson. We're very sorry for your inconvenience, but I would like to assure you that our partner TN has not "sold" or released ANY of our members information to any other group or company. We have a signed contract that specifically prohibits using our customer list for anything other than AMA specific mailings.
Before we decided to offer this DVD series, we very carefully checked out this firm. Their other customers were called and questioned as to their experience and satisfaction with TN. To a firm, each voiced how pleased they were with there relationship. Examples of their customers are Smithsonian Institute, National Rifle Association, Bassmasters, Buckmaster, 4 Wheeling.
We will add a non-solicit flag to your membership record right away."
Okay, great. Now a couple of days later, I get THIS from snipped-for-privacy@warplaneswarehouse.com : "It has come to our attention over the past few days that several recipients of our email promotions may have previously requested to opt out sometime in the past. Since this has come to our attention we have implemented systems to remove possible human error from the opt-in/opt-out process assuring your request is processed accurately!"
I forwarded this to Rich Hanson and Tom Schwyn. My email to Rich went unanswered, and my email to Tom bounced:
said: 550 5.7.1 Requested action not taken: message refused (in reply to end of DATA command)
This is flat out dishonesty.
As of January 1, 2006, AMA number 345531 will be available if anyone wants it. I'm out after nearly 20 years.
--- Rich http://richlockyer.tripod.com /
Rich,
I for one wouldn't wait. I'd send this information along with my AMA card directly to Dave Brown himself. Complete with a letter demanding all reference to you be removed from the AMA data base. If he gets enough of these, maybe he'll get the idea!
host smtp.modelaircraft.org[206.246.138.102]

Good grief!
Why are some of you getting your panties all up in a wad? All you have to do is trash any unsolicited mail; you don't have to open it or read it. It's that simple. Quit bitching and do something productive.
Cheers -- Lyman

I see we have one vote for "the AMA is above reproach, bend over and take it!" ;)

Lyman must be the one profiting from all this. I wondered who it was.
Ethics be damned! Get their money any way you can!

Marvin Wrote:

Umm Marvin, I did that, and I'm still getting letters to send them money or the DVD.
I emailed the AMA staffer in charge, politely asking him to get his out of control, poorly organized program, under control and to stop wasting my money on mailings that weren't needed.
Needless to say I never got a reply.
AMA member since 1968, and pretty disappoinited in this newest get rich scheme.
Thomas Solinski, OKC AMA 8026
--
Majortomski
Thomas wrote:

That doesn't sound too good. I sent mine back, and I have heard nothing else from them. If I get another one of them after checking the box that I was not interested in receiving any of these, then I will be upset with them. - Marvin & Sue
Anyone care to send me any spare DVDs they receive to Australia?
--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3

I'll respect you in the morning! The check is in the mail! I'm from the government, I'm here to help! I did not have sex with that woman!

Youse fergot one: The EULA agreement is for your protection.
--
HPT