3rd request for DVD payment received today

So you're assuming it is actually making someone a profit?

Reply to
Chuck Jones

I'll respect you in the morning! The check is in the mail! I'm from the government, I'm here to help! I did not have sex with that woman!

Reply to
Chuck Jones

First of all, when you joined the AMA you gave no consent, specific or implied that allows the AMA to provide your name, address, etc to anyone outside the AMA. In fact, they can't even hand it out to anyone within the AMA except as it pertains to official AMA business.

Granted! This kind of stuff does happen all the time. But that doesn't make it right or legal. The problem is most people are unaware of their real rights and fail to defend them. So the AMA and every other fly by night outfit gets to make money off your information. A good lawyer could have them on their knees in short order.

Reply to
Chuck Jones

"Chuck Jones" wrote in news:zt8Ce.56210$iU.1818@lakeread05:

Youse fergot one: The EULA agreement is for your protection.

Reply to
High Plains Thumper

I'm assuming that the AMA is either getting a flat fee that probably amounts to 1% of the profits, or it's getting 1% of the profits directly.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:40:00 -0700, Tim Wescott wrote in :

Seems likely.

The more mailings there are, the more costs go up, the less profit there is that needs to be shared with the AMA.

Sounds like win-win-win to me. ;o)

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

There is no prepaid mailer UNLESS you are sending back the box with the DVD. In my case, by the time I got the box open to see what it was, it was pretty much destroyed as far as being able to mail anything in it.

The enclosed letter, and the following THREE "bills" offer only TWO options: Check here: I am keeping the DVD and sending in my $9 Check here: I am returning the DVD, don't send me any more.

All of the letters clearly state that I am under no obligation, yet they have sent three followup "bills" since the initial mailing.

They should not have even put a notice in the mag that they were going to do this. They should not have done it this way PERIOD. They should not have given our personal information to a third party. They should not have send unsolicited DVDs in the mail. Notice given in the mag would have made no difference... they still would have been sent, or we would have been required to A) Notice that they had published the notice, and B) Take some kind of step to opt-out of the program.

AMA flatly denies that the company responsible for the DVD promotion is selling or distrobuting our information, yet shortly after receiving the DVD, I got "spammed" from snipped-for-privacy@warplaneswarehouse.com After I notified AMA of this, I received the following response from Tom Schwyn: "I received your email from Rich Hanson. We're very sorry for your inconvenience, but I would like to assure you that our partner TN has not "sold" or released ANY of our members information to any other group or company. We have a signed contract that specifically prohibits using our customer list for anything other than AMA specific mailings.

Before we decided to offer this DVD series, we very carefully checked out this firm. Their other customers were called and questioned as to their experience and satisfaction with TN. To a firm, each voiced how pleased they were with there relationship. Examples of their customers are Smithsonian Institute, National Rifle Association, Bassmasters, Buckmaster, 4 Wheeling.

We will add a non-solicit flag to your membership record right away."

Okay, great. Now a couple of days later, I get THIS from snipped-for-privacy@warplaneswarehouse.com : "It has come to our attention over the past few days that several recipients of our email promotions may have previously requested to opt out sometime in the past. Since this has come to our attention we have implemented systems to remove possible human error from the opt-in/opt-out process ? assuring your request is processed accurately!"

I forwarded this to Rich Hanson and Tom Schwyn. My email to Rich went unanswered, and my email to Tom bounced:

: host smtp.modelaircraft.org[206.246.138.102] said: 550 5.7.1 Requested action not taken: message refused (in reply to end of DATA command)

This is flat out dishonesty.

As of January 1, 2006, AMA number 345531 will be available if anyone wants it. I'm out after nearly 20 years.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Good grief!

Why are some of you getting your panties all up in a wad? All you have to do is trash any unsolicited mail; you don't have to open it or read it. It's that simple. Quit bitching and do something productive.

Cheers -- Lyman

Reply to
Lyman Slack

I see we have one vote for "the AMA is above reproach, bend over and take it!" ;)

Reply to
Steve Banks

Rich,

I for one wouldn't wait. I'd send this information along with my AMA card directly to Dave Brown himself. Complete with a letter demanding all reference to you be removed from the AMA data base. If he gets enough of these, maybe he'll get the idea!

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Lyman must be the one profiting from all this. I wondered who it was.

Ethics be damned! Get their money any way you can!

Reply to
Chuck Jones

I did. Probably nothing will come of it, but I sent an email to the AMA about it.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

If you get a response, send a reply back on that. I'll bet you a dollar it bounces like mine did.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

But I don't recall an option that says no thanks, but I'll keep the DVD as a gift.

Alan Harriman

Everyone receives mail somehow--either at home or at a

Reply to
Alan Harriman

Alan Harriman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I did it a little different. When I saw the CD, I liked the content, but didn't like the idea of receiving another one every couple weeks after I sent payment. Instead, I sent payment and wrote a note on the form that I didn't want to receive any more CD's. Since then, I have not received any more CD's, so they honored my request.

I wouldn't mind if they offered those DVD's in the AMA store, and would be free to order them as I choose. I just didn't like the idea of receiving whatever content they would send me on a regular basis.

Reply to
High Plains Thumper

I took another tack altogether, When I opened the box I found a DVD that looked like somebody had tried to use it to sandpaper their sidewalk, so I simply pitched the whole mess in the trash. As far as I am concerned, I didn't order it, I didn't get anything usable, SO I owe them nothing, they can feel free to "Go forth and breed themselves" (but not in those exact words)

Reply to
Bob Cowell

Your well off base on this. No one asked for this promo - then, "all you had to do", was do work, that you don't get paid for. And I'm sure we all noticed the prepaid label - unfortunalty I destroyed the box and label opening it. Clever design. Why are you so testy about this anyway?? Don't read the posts if it bothers you so much.

Reply to
zara

Umm Marvin, I did that, and I'm still getting letters to send them money or the DVD.

I emailed the AMA staffer in charge, politely asking him to get his out of control, poorly organized program, under control and to stop wasting my money on mailings that weren't needed.

Needless to say I never got a reply.

AMA member since 1968, and pretty disappoinited in this newest get rich scheme.

Thomas Solinski, OKC AMA 8026

Reply to
Majortomski

That doesn't sound too good. I sent mine back, and I have heard nothing else from them. If I get another one of them after checking the box that I was not interested in receiving any of these, then I will be upset with them.

- Marvin & Sue

Reply to
Marvin

Anyone care to send me any spare DVDs they receive to Australia?

Reply to
The Raven