SWX Add-in

I received an email from a company who is developing a new add-in that
is supposed to be launced at SWXWorld in February.
The new add-in looks very interesting!
I like it because it would help me to investigate/edit models that
others built, or to investigate/edit models that I built a long time
ago.
What are your thoughts?????
In order to learn about it, go to:

swxjunkie
OMG! I MUST get one RIGHT AWAY! You sold me on it!
You should think about working for these wonderful people!
Reply to
That70sTick
Tick,
I think you left the sarcasm button on.
KM
Reply to
KMaren
That actually looks very useful, although I hate it when companies don't give you any idea of the cost!!!!!!!!!!!
John Layne

John Layne
Dynabits tried to sell something very similar years ago. As I recall, Dynabits' version could also do some editing from the graph view. Unfortunately, not enough people bought it, and Dynabits is no more.
Reply to
Dale Dunn
So, yes it actually looks like it could be useful. I'd wonder how well it handles large assemblies with incontext relationships. Working as a supplier, with customers sending us parts and assemblies, seeing some of the background relationships graphically might be interesting, but probably only if the customer sent everything. So I'd also wonder how well it would handle missing relationships. Error message? Crash?
Do you think this is done with XML? Just curious.
Diego
Reply to
Diego
Yes, it is interesting even to a novice such as myself. That Software will be offered by ITTC Multimedia Corp, headed by Prof. James A. Sinclair, PHD. It is a company that offers quite a bit of education, on quite a few different diciplines, in the form of Educational Video Courses. Among it's offerings is also hands on instruction at the NJ Workshop. I had purchased an audio/video Educational CD of theirs on Solidworks, Level I, and can vouch for it's Excellence. Definitely on an equal par with Solidprofessor. There is supposedely a Solidworks Level II version coming out shortly. I will also look forward to seeing just what this addin does, as dissecting the design tree and the model in detail, is not one of my strong points.
G. De Angelis De Angelis Tool Valhalla Grafix
Diego wrote:
Reply to
G. De Angelis
Sounds like a great tool! Those parent/child relations have always slowed me while editing parts because I couldn't figure them up from a graphic overview.
Thanks' for posting the link.
Cheers, Gil
Reply to
Gil Alsberg
I'm sure it's a fine product, maybe even worth paying for. But, puh-LEEZ! Just come out and say you've got something cool to sell. The play-acting shillery is insulting to what little is left of my intelligence.
Reply to
That70sTick
I have a macro that does some of that. It captures a good bit of information but it doesn't yet go down to sketch feature level. That is a plus. I have come to appreciate that sorting out these relationships is not easy and I don't think that they have quite captured all that a user needs to know to really understand a model.
Personally I think SWX needs to revamp the way the FMT presents information and the questions in their survey really highlight what needs to be accomplished though not how. I would rather see what they are doing turned into something in the Property manager window, perhaps to actually take the place of the current FMT.
Reply to
TOP
The prices for Solidmap are not final yet, however the "thinking" is for a desktop version for $750.00 USD, and $950.00 USD for a floating license.
G. De Angelis De Angelis Tool Valhalla Grafix

John Layne wrote:
Reply to
G. De Angelis
I hope they are at SWx world. I think it would be a fun little diversion to bring a real project that I am familiar with on a memory key and have them analyze it.
Parent-child in a part is likely more useful (or at least expedient) than this, but parent child on an assembly sketch reveals bupkis - I wonder if these guys do it better? In context, derived parts, equations (with feedback loops) and stuff like that deserves a little poking and prodding to see if this tool has the goods to make any real difference. It would have to do a lot to justify the price.
Reply to
ed1701
This hits the nail right on the head. Solidworks need to implement tools that users can understand and correct these sort of things. I'm constantly frustrated at the amount of time, spent trying to find out what the hell is going on, when I have to pick up someone else's modelling files. Sure as day follows night the program will screw you when changing a feature in the tree even after doing child/parent etc. I mean if the program can fill the FM with cherries surely the programmers can give us the tools as well and not keep it such a big frigging secret.
Rant over.
Neville Williams Z-Axis Design - NZ "remove the KNOT to reply"
Reply to
Nev Williams
Ed, I look forward to your review, after SolidWorks World.
At $750 it would need to make me coffee in the morning to justify the cost. I could be convinced otherwise if there is, a hell of a lot of good feedback from some of the regulars here.
John Layne

John Layne
AssyGator didn't fly and it was less than than $750. Propagator which sells for much less, less than a tenth of that, and is something you might use every day hasn't bought the author a Lexus yet. One of the problems is that what it does is so hard for most bosses to understand that it would be hard to justify. It is one of those things that when you tell your boss you are wasting time on the problem they won't see SW as the problem, they will see you as the problem.
Reply to
TOP
Pehaps they just want SW to buy it from them, then SW can include it in office pro.
steve
T> AssyGator didn't fly and it was less than than $750. Propagator which
Reply to
solid steve
My name is Pat Pirsoom and I work for the company that is developing SolidMap. I do not want to interfere with this discussion, however I wanted to just set the record straight. Dr Sinclair is not associated with SolidMap. Also, SolidMap is not being developed or marketed by ITTC Multimedia.
SolidMap is a product being developed and marketed by KollabNet corporation.
Info on SolidMap:

Info on KollabNet:

Thank you ... Pat Pirsoom
Reply to
solidmapinfo
Couldn't agree more!
There are, and have been, some really good plug-in for SolidWorks but the "convincing the boss" issue is the biggest problem any of the plug-in developers face.
Just a couple-- Bluebeam Push button Plus PDF writer (the full version not the old freebie) ,an excellent program (combines pdfs into one, great batch printing, adds stamps to individual sheets)--- Wonder how many others have bought this?
MechSoft for SolidWorks--- A really well put together standard part library-- it is now a standard part of Inventor and no longer available for SolidWorks.
GeometyWorks3d -- Looks like a great program that I could use-- but I can't justify the expense
ToolWorks BOM Manager - Ditto above
If you look through the SolidWorks Partner directory, there are 274 Partners, I wonder how many make the money they thought they were going to when they designed there addins.
John Layne

John Layne
Forgot to add that I have only managed to convince 3 other contractors and 1 company to purchase Propagator. Trying to influence companies and other contractors, to buy it, is hard work even when at $49US Propagator is an absolute bargain !!!!
John Layne

John Layne
Sorry for so many posts but,
Hadn't heard of AssyGator, so did a quick search and found this
Illustrates the problems involved for companies developing addins for SolidWorks (and probably other CAD products)
John Layne

John Layne