Un-Wrap a surface to produce a flat label

Can this be done?

What I need to do is produce a flat label for a bottle, except the surface that the label sits on is curved in more than one direction.

I guess what I am trying to do is the opposite of the WRAP function. I need to take the resultant surface and from it arrive at a planar sketch that will describe the label.

Is it possible?

Kev

Reply to
awtltd

No it is not possible.

It's not a CAD thing; it's a math thing.

Reply to
That70sTick

A real label will have to sit on a ruled surface which only has curvature in one direction, unless it's some material that stretches that way and can still be glued properly. Paper type labels will pucker on surfaces with other types of curvature. The outline shape can be created by trimming, but the underlying surface must be "developable".

Flattening isn't something SolidWorks can do unless it's a surface which can be made with sheetmetal (conical, cylindrical or a lofted bend surface made from just two profiles with no guide curves or end conditions).

SurfaceWorks can flatten various types of shapes.

Matt

Reply to
matt

Download geometryworks and use the surface flatten command. It will do what you want with decent results. (you need to check your results with cross section curve lengths)

If you really want the best solution buy Surfaceworks flattener. This will give you the best flat surface with stretch and compression plotting so you can see if your label will actually stick on without puckering or tearing.

Cadguru

Reply to
cadguru

Thanks,

OK I've downloaded Geometryworks - where's the flatten surface command?

Kev

cadguru wrote:

Reply to
awtltd

Geometryworks is difficult to just pick up and use. If you read the PDF manual...like 50 pgs or something all the way through it makes a lot more sense.

Most commands are object - action - oriented.

Cadguru

Reply to
cadguru

Done it, quick read of the relevant section and "Job done" much quicker than the having to cut sections and project.

Thanks Guys

Kev

cadguru wrote:

Reply to