Having part "wrap" to surface automatically

I have a "wire" that I want to mate and "wrap" or "fit" to a curved surface.

For example, suppose I have a sphere with a groove in it. I have a T beam that will fit in the groove. But T is straight and the surface is curved. In my case the surface has different curvatures and different points so I need a way to automate it.

Also, is it possible to automatically control the length/size of a part through a mate or two? In the above example the group has a finite length and I'd like the "T beam" to "stretch" to fill the grove.

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

I would suggest that the part has two configurations: 1 for the staright T-beam for cutting, 2 for the one to follow the groove. (1 is made after 2). In the assembly where the curved part with the groove is placed you make a path curve of the groove, then the T-beam is made using feature Sweep, the profile sketch is the T and the path is the curve from the groove. When part 2 is made the length of the path can be measured and then be used for the cutting configuration.

BR, MGR@Martin

Reply to
morten.gronberg