wrap cut with sw2006

How do I do a wrap cut on the OD of a pipe?

I've got the sketch laid out, but it will only go 180deg.

Also, the sketch cut must be normal to the surface of the OD. So Extruded Cut won't work.

I've created a plane at the OD of the pipe, drew the sketch, and it wraps around OK, but only to a max of 180deg/half the circumfrence of the OD. I want to layout a sketch of 360deg, wrap it around, and use the sketch to cut the pipe, so there will be two pieces after the cut.

Thanks, samurai.

Reply to
samurai

Check out the "wrap" feature. It sounds like you are using the "extruded cut" feature?

samurai wrote:

Reply to
matt

well, the sketch will normally not allow a cross-over or overlap itself so what you may have to do is create two wrap cuts (deboss's) to accomplish the cut??

Reply to
Paul Salvador

I can only lay the sketch along the centerline of the OD to do a Wrap on the OD, and it will only allow the sketch to be laid out for

180deg, 90deg on one side of the center line, and 90 deg on the other side of centerline. If you try to rotate that wrap at 180, it will fail because there is no more pipe to cut after the rotate.

I did manage a Wrap Cut, but had to lay the sketch at the MidPlane and centerline along the length of the OD, and used the Deboss with the OD surface as the Wrap surface.

But what if I want to lay a sketch starting from centerline, and out from the left of center, laying the sketch from centerline to the end of the sketch...about the length of the circumfrence?? As far as I could tell, SW wants to center of the sketch at the centerline of the pipe, and then you can only lay the sketch 90deg to the left, and

90deg to the right. Can't go past 180. So what if I don't have a symmetircal layout, or need a sketch to be wraped around 270deg???

Thanks, Samurai.

Reply to
samurai