Plastic Wrap

The other day, I read a thread here that mentioned that plastic wrap was a no-no for storing plastic models. I didn't see an explanation why. Is it bad for the plastic, or is there some other reason?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Powell

I've seen models where the paint is now shiny where the wrap was in contact, and flat everywhere else.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Plastic wrap and bubble wrap can stick to the paint, and if the model is left in storage for a few years, unwrapping it can peel the paint off. I use newspaper, even better is that clean newspaper the movers use for wrapping dishes.

David J. Starr

Reply to
David J. Starr

Better still is some acid-free wraping tissue, not just clean newsprint.

Reply to
Steve Caple

I use paper towels, myself.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

It probably depends on the type of plastic wrap, and the nature of the paint, lubricants, etc. in or on the model.

Many have reported numerous instances of plastic wrap reacting with the model's surface, and sticking to the paintwork, etc. This sometimes causes permanent damage to the model's finish.

This would also be true of many solid plastic materials like styrofoam. Many plastics slowly decompose, releasing 'plasticizer' chemicals that can react with and damage other items in the area.

Likewise, many forms of paper can cause damage, Any paper with a high acid content is particularly bad. This include much of the 'brown' paper wrap, and newsprint. Any paper that 'yellows' with age, like most newsprint, likely contains acid. For storing models use only acid-free paper intended for archival storage. Such material can be purchased from some office supplies, library supply stores, and sometimes better photographic stores.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Michael Powell wrote:

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

I second the advice on using "acid-free" paper.

Newsprint is 'ok' for short term storage, but the acid in the paper can and will cause long term deterioration of many items left in contact with it. Even worse is 'brown' paper, such as most corrugated boxes are made of. I've seen many items damaged by just setting in corrugated cardboard containers for long periods. This can occur even in dry conditions, but moisture makes things MUCH worse.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Steve Caple wrote:

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

Plastic wrap contains PVC-Polyvinyl Chloride which is bad for just about everything it comes in contact with over a period of time. I have wrapped my trains in bubble wrap for moves, or shipping when I sold them but have never stored them longterm in bubble wrap. Now I have my set in my basement, which I am finding is another no-no because of the moisture some of them started corroding recently. So now everything has to go in sealed containers for storage. Dave

Reply to
Scottishmoney

Depending on the brand you are using, they can be far far worse than plastic or acidic newsprint. There are chemicals applied to paper towels to make the paper more absorbent. As a test outside, of course, take a paper towel and lay it on bare ground that is not flammable and light it up, you will notice that it burns far quicker than regular paper, because of said chemicals.

Dave

Reply to
Scottishmoney

Or get a dehumidifier (which you should do, anyway, to prevent humidity problems with the layout!).

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Only SOME may contain PVC (Vinyl). Various plastic wraps also use acetate, polyester, polyolefin (polyethylene, polypropylene), Mylar, Saran, and surely others. Still, it's hard to guess what may react with who-knows what on a model, so ALL are a bad idea unless you have specific knowledge to the contrary.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Scottishm>

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

Thanks for the replies. Reason I asked was that I had washed some undec shells not too long ago, and had wrapped them in saran wrap to keep the dust off. Unwrapped them after reading that note here, and noticed that the tops of the cabs were more shiney than the reast of the shells. Since they are not yet painted, I am hoping another washing before painting will take care of this problem.

Thanks!

Reply to
Michael Powell

A recent thread I recall reading recently (somewhere) was that if lubricant leaked out of a loco's gearbox, it would puddle on the plastic at some point and destroy the paint. Suggestion was to "treat your locos like the fine thoroughbred horses they are, and let them rest standing up [on their wheels]" This way if there was leakage it would end up on the bottom or underside of the loco where it wouldn't mar the paint or hurt anything.

Happy Holidays!

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy" (Happily modeling 1969 in HO)

Reply to
Paul K - The CB&Q Guy