Whats that machine called that...

Some years ago I saw a CNC machine cutting some aluminium parts. It used a
wire as cutting element and the means of cutting was spark erosion. The
beneift of this machining process was very low clamping forces. Whats the
name for this type of machine ie "vacuum cleaner" not "Hoover"?
On a similar theme, there was an article some years ago about an R/C
modeller who had built a spark erosion machine for carving the turbine
blades for the model jet turbine he was building.
Anybody got good references sources for building such a machine?
Many Thanks
Steve
Reply to
Steve
you are talking about wire eroding
Reply to
Maurice Hood
Wire EDM (Electrical Discharge Machining)
Tom
Reply to
Tom
EDM was what I was struggling for - thanks.
Reply to
Steve
EDM... the designers friend..... if you cant think of a way to machine it, send it to the local wire eroders / spark eroders, they are sure to be able to make it for you
Reply to
Tim Bird
There has recently been a series in Model Engineers Workshop on building an EDM. Regards Doug
Reply to
Doug Ball