Whats that machine called that...

Some years ago I saw a CNC machine cutting some aluminium parts. It used a wire as cutting element and the means of cutting was spark erosion. The beneift of this machining process was very low clamping forces. Whats the name for this type of machine ie "vacuum cleaner" not "Hoover"?

On a similar theme, there was an article some years ago about an R/C modeller who had built a spark erosion machine for carving the turbine blades for the model jet turbine he was building.

Anybody got good references sources for building such a machine?

Many Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve

you are talking about wire eroding

Reply to
Maurice Hood

Wire EDM (Electrical Discharge Machining)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

EDM was what I was struggling for - thanks.

Reply to
Steve

EDM... the designers friend..... if you cant think of a way to machine it, send it to the local wire eroders / spark eroders, they are sure to be able to make it for you

Reply to
Tim Bird

Reply to
Doug Ball