EEC 80 Watt Charging set.

Made by quite a number of companies in parallel ECC (Enfield Cycle Co), ST (Stuart Turner), DK (Douglas of Kingswood) amoung them. I have two ST's and an ECC in various states of disrepair. Magnetos seem prone to OC secondary.

Reply to
Nick H

Oh and 12 volts BTW, see instructions emailed off-list.

Reply to
Nick H

Gentlemen,

Today I went with my good wife and our Dormobile to Bolnhurst Vintage Rally a local do to us. I spent a pleasant day pottering about and came home with what I thought was a well kept, and still smelling of preservative, 80 Watt Gen Set by EEC but on inspection it has S.T. Ltd on the spec plate? does that mean Stuart Turner as they did design them but I thought others i.e. EEC made them. Anybody know the voltage please. Pictures can be seen at usual site shown at bottom of post.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Forgot to mention, does anybody have a canvas cover for it they would like to sell me, and also forgot to mention that Peter Forbes and his good lady spent some time with me as well.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Not a bad little show at all, we toodled over and had a cuppa with Martin during the afternoon, thanks Martin!

Hugh Stannard had his Tangye out at the show, and there was a Hamworthy compressor set there with a Lister A engine IIRC, looked to be mostly complete. Apart from that there was the usual run of D's and such stuff, plus a 6hp AP Ruston & Hornsby which was running.

Bought a few new rubber spider couplings, about 2-1/2 of them, look to be good for a genny coupling or similar.

Why do people leave bare steel parts out in the rain? The guy had a box of bits that were swimming in water after a heavy shower, he could just as easily covered the stuff up and saved the eventual surface rust that will occur and make it even more difficult to sell at the next show...

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Patina?

Reply to
John Manders

I have had one of these charging sets for about 36years, made by ECC. I always thought it was "Electrical Construction Company " of Wolverhampton. You learn something everyday! Some years ago a local surplus dealer was selling small "tool kits" for £5 . It turned out that these were maintenance kits for the 80w charging sets- including spare plugs, valves ,springs, gaskets, fuel pipe etc, all in a neat steel box. Folded neatly in the bottom , was an instruction book. The kit enabled me to re-furbish the set . It was always a pig to start, especially after some kind soul threw it in the canal sometime around 1970. Those spark plugs and valves are beautifully made. Robert.

Reply to
Bob Holmes

You may well be right Bob, I have seen both interpretations of ECC before. Anyone out there got a definative answer?

Reply to
Nick H

I still have some of the boxes, empty now of course.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Both are probably correct, Electric Construction Co was a dynamo/alternator manufacturer who put together complete systems using other people's engines, Enfield Cycle Co was a sub-contractor who made bits under contract to the Air Ministry amongst other.

One of our Cub generators is made by the Enfield Cycle Co, the alternator is BKB though. I assume that they were just an assembler in this instance, buying the Cub engine in from Oil Engines (Coventry) Ltd or one of the others who manufactured the engine over the years.

I have not heard of an Enfield Cycle Co set using an Electric Construction Co generator end.

Prepair Ltd

A couple of years ago on this very newsgroup the following appeared:-

From: J.Edwards ( snipped-for-privacy@generator.freeserve.co.uk) Subject: Re: ex-WD Charging Set View: Complete Thread (11 articles) Original Format Newsgroups: uk.rec.engines.stationary Date: 2001-02-09 13:43:50 PST

Hi again Derek If you close the needle valve completely(clockwise) then open it approx 1.5 turns this should put you in a running position,you can then adjust slightly either way when the engine is running.I only have the same manual as you on the set so can,t help there.There is a small ball bearing acting as a non return valve in the brass union at the tank make sure that it,s there or it will never run.I have some spares for this set if you need anything try me.

Reply to
Nick H

I've got two of these, both by EEC. One is pretty complete but doesn't have a spark despite my best efforts. The other is (like Martin's) pretty new looking. It starts and runs OK, but like all little engines with direct lift carbs is really fussy and the slightest movement of the throttle screw will make it run badly or just expire. Narrowing the plug gap helps.

Oddly enough, I had it running on Friday just to see if it did and it started without a lot of bother after several months of sitting about. The starting procedure is rather arcane and requires three priming pulls with the choke on and then three more on cold start. If it doesn't go then, try putting it on hot start. I've marked the throttle screw with Typex and knowing where it was is a definite advance!

You'll have to be as attentive as to a new high maintenance mistress until it has warmed up, following the four stroke setting on the carb screw as it roars away to itself. Load it after adjustment and then be prepared to see it through its first tantrum as the mixture weakens under load. That done, it will run cheerfully for about two hours on a full tank.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Gentlemen, Found Needle was loose and about two turns so set back a bit and now runs in short bursts, any idea how many turns from stop needle should be. Petrol is also stale some fresh on Wednesday as flying to Edinburgh tomorrow for day.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

After all this I dragged mine out. Its an ECC but has no spark so has been put back away for another 5 years :-) ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Was getting worried as you went very quiet, have a good weekend with Peter F he likes his tea sweet and strong. :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

We only had ONE sugar!! :-))

Prepair Ltd

I have one that's made by EP&Co. It runs a treat and generates about 40 volts DC when not under a load What voltage battery should it charge?

Phil

Reply to
philip.starling

Unless there is more than one type, it should be for 12 Volt accumulators.

40 volts off-load sounds a bit high, but try hanging a car battery on it and see what happens.
Reply to
Nick H

This is what I found too, 38 odd volts off load but it's rated at 12 volts. Connected to a 12 volt battery makes it work pretty hard and the revs drop by at least 50% I'd judge.

These electrickery things have always puzzled me - can anyone explain why my battery doesn't warm through and turn into a Dali sculpture?

Reply to
J K Siddorn

May I venture to suggest that it was intended for charging five 6v radio batteries. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven