EEC 80 Watt Charging set.

J K Siddorn wrote:

There are 3 factors involved with this generator- Firstly, the engine has no governor, so , off load it revs to a much higher value than when it is loaded., also it is much noisier at these high revs. Secondly, there is no voltage regulation within the generator - it is in fact a rotating permanent magnet alternator, and , very approximately , the output voltage is proportional to the revs. Thirdly, the old metal rectifier fitted to these sets is rather inefficient ( its the finned thing over the generator ) This rectifier , as well as producing a vaguely Direct Current is also by virtue of its inefficiency, a series resistance between the generator and the battery and has the effect of limiting the charging current to about 5amps. The internal impedance of the generator winding also limits the current to a safe value. The rectifier can usefully be replaced by a modern silicon bridge rectifier rated at 10amp and 100v because these old rectifiers fail regularly due to age , you finish up with ac on your battery. It would still be possible to boil your battery , but you would have to run the genny for a long time and the enemy would have homed in on your position by the din from the engine and the condition of the battery is then irrelevent. I would not recommend connecting other equipment to the generator unless there was a 12v battery in circuit to hold the voltage down Robert.

Reply to
Bob Holmes

Destruction book definitely states for 12v wireless accumulators - Judging by the cooling fins I would suspect that the metal rectumfryer has a fairly high internal resistance so output voltage will drop sharply when load is applied.

Reply to
Nick H

Suggestions please for 'EP&Co'

Reply to
Nick H

I have a dynamo by Electrical power of Birmingham ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

All I could think of was Eldridge Pope :-}

Reply to
Nick H

Selenium type.

Look nice but horribly inefficient. worth keeping on the generator for appearance but fit a modern sillicoon equivalent (Kim has a couple we gave him IIRC) out of sight.

STC in the days of Standard Telephones & Cables, plus Brimar made most of these in the UK.

Prepair Ltd

Or copper oxide.

If replacing metal rectifier with silicon type would it be prudent to include a series resistor to avoid boiling battery or, more likely, overheating alternator windings?

BTW. I remember those STC SenTerCel types - smelt like old cabbage when dead or dying! Westinghouse were another big manufacturer ranging from large power types to the tiny Westector.

Reply to
Nick H

All very interesting, I don't have any intention of doing anything useful with it but the information is useful.

Cheers,

Phil.

Reply to
Phil Starling

I used to have one (bridge rectifier) from a loudspeaker electromagnet supply, Westinghouse Brake & Saxby Signal co., AFAIR

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

I don't think that copper oxide lasted for long before the Selenium designs came along, but your comment jogged my memory about stick rectifiers and plate rectifiers, I think selenium was used for the plate types and copper oxide for the smaller power types.

A variable wirewound resistor would be useful if you were going to use the unit for regularly charging batteries, in which case you would need a tubular wirewound type and some experimenting to find a workable value for a fixed resistor which could be a modern ali clas type and bolted to the bodywork out of sight.

The old 1kW firebars are useful as a source of cheap resistance wire, and they are also available in 110V as well as 240V BTW.

Prepair Ltd

Just in case anyone is interested (and I must admit I find the history of just about any technology fascinating) I found this:-

Nick H

I had a look at that, and I found a couple of statements a bit strange.

He mentioned 10,000 amps worth of copper-oxide rectifiers in the early part of the 1900's, but everyone was on DC mostly in those days anyway, and certainly I would have expected to see DC generating sets for that kind of punch rather than rectified AC which was in its infancy in the 1920's.

DC generators were widespread up to the 1950's and later, especially for film studios like Ealing etc.

Maybe I missed something in my quick look ?

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Gentlemen, I am really pleased with myself, not long returned from Scottishland to find my little Genny caused quite a long thread. :-))

Something OT passing Peterborough this evening on the A1 I had cause to dial

999 from my mobile, Handsfree, as in the outside lane on the Northbound was an old Gent happily heading south and waving at on coming cars flashing him :-((

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

It has been suggested to me (with some authority) off-list that EP&Co may be E Pass & Co. of Denton near Manchester, and that that company was entrusted with manufacturing the first production batch of these units.

See:-

(about 1/3 way down page)

Nothing to do with gensets but I guess many engineering companies were pressed into service during the war building things a world away from their peacetime work.

Reply to
Nick H

And another thing (stop me if I'm boring you). Has anyone actually got a set marked EEC - all the ones I have seen billed as such have turned out to be ECC? Go on, have another look, it's all to easy to read what you were expecting to see rather than what is actually there!

Reply to
Nick H

Mine is deffinitely marked as S.T. Ltd No work again today :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Luck blighter, I hope you are using your time productively!

BTW Do you think length of NG thread could be inversely proportional to size of engine under discussion?

Reply to
Nick H

Nick, I meant you had no work today as busy with NG :-)) I am busy catching up with paperwork while local Vauxhall dealer attempt to stop my van alarm from going off for no reason other than it is missing me every five minutes. I has not gone wrong this week but I am pleased to report that as I cycled away from the dealership it was screaming for attention. :-))

Lets discuss a large marine diesel and see how many posts we get.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

My misunderstanding. But I can assure you that I am hard at it between posts - why I think I sold a 6204 only last week!

Reply to
Nick H

whats a 6204 then.

Martin P