Athearn SD-50 / RPP SD-60 questions

First I have a few questions regarding the Athearn SD-50. In the add, it says that the grabs are metal. Does this mean that there are not any molded-on detail parts? Also, should I expect an undec from them?

Also, I have a few of the RPP SD-60 shells. How difficult will it be, at this time, to get parts for them (RPP or Athearn SD40T-2 underframes, handrails, trucks, etc.)? The instructions mention what to use for underframes and handrails... should the SD40T-2 trucks also be used? I am thinking dummy units, BTW, so motor train parts are not an issue.

Finally, I notice that the prototype length and wheelbase of an SD-50 is the same as the SD-60. Would one of the new Athearn SD-50 underframes fit an SD-60?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Powell

There are no molded on parts that should be stand-off wire, like the grabs and handrails. Of course a lot of the long hood basic details are molded on - doors and latches, radiators, roof hatches, etc.

The RPP shell was originally designed to fit the Athearn SD40T-2 chassis, which was slightly too short in the wheelbase but close... RPP then later made their own frame if I remember rightly with the correct wheelbase. The Athearn SD40-2/SD40T-2 trucks fit this frame.

It should -- the issue may be the thickness of the shell, and any possible intrusions on the inside of the shell, or on the frame. I've been fitting a Proto 2000 SD45 shell to a Kato SD45 drive and it sounds like it should be a no-brainer but it's actually a collossal pain because Kato made the blower duct hollow on the shell, and cast the frame to fill it up with metal. The P2K shell has "stuff" in the blower housing - the long hood side extends below the top of it, there are mounting posts for air tanks.... it's a royal pain.

So without having an SD50 drive in hand (yet), I can't give you an answer other than "it should" and if you do get it on there, it would be the correct wheelbase for an SD60.

Undecs: should be coming soon. That's what I've been waiting on.

Andy

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology

Andy Harman