Latest MR Cover - engine shown?

Can someone please tell me what [GP #] engine is shown on the cover of the latest MR magazine, and the brand? It's a terrific looking engine as is his whole layout effort. His "hydroclay" technique is quite impressive!

Thanks! Matt

Reply to
Matt Brennan

I don't know my models on sight, but it's definitely an EMD SD or GP-something, probably a later model, such as a 50, 60, or 70. Definitely EMD, though.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

Looks like a EMD SD50 or SD60. I would guess it is a detailed Athearn model but I am a little out of touch with current model products so maybe a brass model or a non-Athearn plastic model that has been detailed.

Reply to
Charles Seyferlich

I'm pretty sure that Eric Brooman uses the hp equals the first two digits of the road number system. So it's a SD-50.

Eric

Matt Brennan wrote:

"Can someone please tell me what [GP #] engine is shown on the cover of the latest MR magazine, and the brand? It's a terrific looking engine as is his whole layout effort. His "hydroclay" technique is quite impressive!"

Reply to
Eric

Looking at it closely, it could be as humble as a GP-40. The low nose, cab windows and roof, three dynamic brake fans, the air inlet/filters on the hood and the four axle trucks match the GP-40 very closely. The air duct on the catwalk with the distinctive "hump" in the hand rail is different, suggesting a later model. Notice the headlamp is bright while the cab windows are dark suggesting something has been done about the factory Athearn head lamp which shines out the cab windows. There is some extra roof detail and the snow plow added. The handrails are a bit oversized, but sturdy enough to survive handling. You could duplicate the looks of this model with the easy to get Athearn GP-40. A visit to the Athearn website would show the lineup of GP's newer than the '40. Aside from the yellow and black zebra stripes, the paint scheme looks easy to mask off.

David J. Starr

Reply to
David J. Starr

Matt,

The engine is an SD50 - Something that Eric built using RPP shell and Athearn drive parts - Looks nice!

Jim Bernier

Matt Brennan wrote:

Reply to
Jim Bernier

His rock faces looked very good, but it perhaps shouldn't come as a surprise that you can mix plaster with clay. It used to be (and perhaps still is in some places) common to render the outside of buildings with a mixture of lime putty and mud/dirt. The ration 1 of lime putty to 3 of mud comes to mind BICBW.

Ashley.

Reply to
Ashley Sanders

On page 62/63 of the magazine, it has a GP60 (3818)listed with a 3000 number series and the one on the cover (3560) is a 3000 series. My guess is a GP60.

Reply to
Patrick Carcirieri

Thanks everyone!

His added detailing has produced a striking engine. I continue to marvel at how appealing that cover image is. It just captures the essence of railroading.

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan

It is definitely an SD50 or SD60. Probably a Rail Power SD60, notice it has Athearn handrail stanchions which would peg it as an RPP shell, not a Proto 2000 or the new Athearn SD50.

Andy

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology

Andy Harman

Were you of a mind to kit bash something that looked as nice, what would you start with?

David Starr

Reply to
David J. Starr

Dear Mr. Sanders, By your post I take you for a Briton, but I don't know enough geography to place where - I have heard of that kind of rendering, in connection with cob-built houses made of rammed clay, and probably to cover the wattling in timbered houses. It's been a long time since that was common here, if it ever was, although I know of a field stone house near Lancaster which is built with a clay-lime mortar, and has stood up pretty well, because the builders understood how to work with gravity -- or at least the repairs in the last 200 years have fixed all the problems. That kind of putty might also have been used to chink log houses. Most of our domestic architecture is wood clapboards over wood framing, or else bricks baked hard enough to face the weather. Occasionally you find soft brick, coated with plaster, but not mixed with clay. I am attempting to ignore modern aberrations like vinyl siding and phony brick-faced-block walls into submission. Cordially yours, Gerard P.

Reply to
Gerard Pawlowski

The Athearn SD50. If I wanted an SD60, I'd get an Athearn SD50 and a Proto 2000 SD60 long hood. and go from there.

Andy

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology

Andy Harman

Is there a reason (price, accuracy, other) that you'd start with an Athearn unit over a Proto 2000?

Andy Harman wrote: : On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:32:47 -0500, "David J. Starr" : wrote: : :> Were you of a mind to kit bash something that looked as nice, what :>would you start with? : : The Athearn SD50. If I wanted an SD60, I'd get an Athearn SD50 and a : Proto 2000 SD60 long hood. and go from there. : : Andy : ----------------------------------------------------------- :

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology : -----------------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Michael Powell

Better tooling in every respect. It's a more accurate model, especially if you look at the trucks. The Athearn is also a few bucks cheaper but that wouldn't do it by itself. The main thing that put me off about all of the P2K modern SDs (60, 60M, and 50) is the compound gearing that makes it more or less incompatible with locos geared 14:1 which is pretty much the norm for most things - all Kato, all Atlas, and even some of P2K's line has been 14:1.

Andy

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology

Andy Harman

Thanks for that input. I'd always thought of Athearn as a good place to start, due to its lack of detail, but that has been changing since the Genesis line came about. If the Athearn unit comes in undec, I may need to rethink my SD50 plans. ;-)

Mike

Andy Harman wrote: : On 25 Nov 2003 10:31:25 -0500, Michael Powell : wrote: : :>Is there a reason (price, accuracy, other) that you'd start with an :>Athearn unit over a Proto 2000? : : Better tooling in every respect. It's a more accurate model, : especially if you look at the trucks. The Athearn is also a few bucks : cheaper but that wouldn't do it by itself. The main thing that put me : off about all of the P2K modern SDs (60, 60M, and 50) is the compound : gearing that makes it more or less incompatible with locos geared 14:1 : which is pretty much the norm for most things - all Kato, all Atlas, : and even some of P2K's line has been 14:1. : : Andy : ----------------------------------------------------------- :

Reply to
Michael Powell

If you are a long time classic Athearn fan, I think there's much to like about the SD50. The drive line is pretty straight up classic Athearn, not sure which motor they are using but the nice thing about the 12:1 gearboxes, if you don't like the motor, just drop something else in and away you go.

Undecs are hopefully on the way soon. I have several on reserve, but so far all that has shown up here in the hands of fellow modelers is the UP. I saw one a couple weeks ago and it was running nicely mixed in with a Kato consist.