Another MR garden railway.

I see the latest MR has another garden railway featured?
What's that, two in the past few months?
Yes, it's a nice garden railway, but don't Kalmbach already have a garden
railway magazine? If so, what's a garden railway doing in MR?
-- Cheers Roger T.
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Model Railroading would seem to be a 'superset' that includes the 'set' of garden railroaders. As long as MR has chosen to become the 'People' magazine of model railroading I think the article fits. If you are looking for a specific type of model railroading there are plenty of niche publications out there to meet your needs.
What are the chances that MR would publish something like Chubb's CMRI series these days? I'd say none... it's a changed publication.
                            ---john.
Roger, I guess I don't mind much especially now that I have a model of a Garden railroad of sorts in my train room. My son saw the pictures the garden railroads in the latest MR and people riding on the trains and got an idea. Now we have Sponge Bob mounted on top of my Heavy Mountain with a small piece of red foam on the cab roof for a seat. This does not fit in with the theme of my layout very well but then neither did the Mountain even when it was an HO scale locomotive. The kid thinks its even better than Thomas so Sponge Bob will ride for a while longer on his garden locomotive. Bruce

"Bruce Favinger"

idea.
the
it
For kids? Whatever holds and maintains their interest. Go for it.
The "Thomas'", and now "Sponge Bob's", of the world rule!
-- Cheers Roger T.
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Home of the Great Eastern Railway
Actually, I though of it more as another "celebrity" railway.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

I thought a "celebrity" was someone famous. Karlb
Those bastards!

Oh no! It's taking up valuable room for those REAL model railroads! I'm going to write MR and tell them to publish articles only on the model railroading that I like.
Seriously, I think it was cool to see that the cartoonist who draws "For Better or for Worse" had real life inspiration for the model railroading husband in her comic strip.
and c'mon guys, do we really have to bag on every issue of MR after it comes out?
"Tim Gill"

comes
Given the way the magazine is going? Yes!
-- Cheers Roger T.
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Home of the Great Eastern Railway
<sigh>
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling...."
Let' see...
Pg 54, Roque's Bluff, a beautiful little layout by Ian Rice which includes good information about Proto:87 standards.
Pg 60, Working Interchanges, an EXCELLENT article on operations, one of the best I've read. Lots of illustrations, examples, and ideas.
Pgs 66, 68, 70 Three How-to articles on detailing engines. One by Jim Six.
Pgs, 77 & 88 Standard layout articles in N and O scale.
Pg 90, Track Buyers Guide. Extensive guide to track. Lots of photos, specs, charts, etc. Good, basic information for beginners and experienced model railroaders alike.
Pg 100, The infamous garden layout.
I wonder if some folks who complain here even read the magazine. If you didn't enjoy that issue, you surely must be THE expert in Model Railroading, needing no further input from mere mortals.
Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"
"Mike Tennent" <

Mike.
You missed the point of my post.
Kalmbach have a magazine devoted to garden railways.
So, why wasn't the garden railway featured in THAT magazine?
Does the magazine devoted to garden railways feature any HO scale indoor railways?
I doubt it very much. So why should a magazine about model railroads feature a garden railway, especially has there was another garden layout featured a short time ago.
AFAIC, the garden railway was featured in MR simply because the modeller is the husband on Lynn Johnston, and not because he's done a fine job on his railway.
-- Cheers Roger T.
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Home of the Great Eastern Railway

No, I just don't think it's particularly valid. <shrug>

OK.
Maybe it was. I have no idea.

Probably not, it is a magazine about GARDEN railroads, after all.

Hmmm, let me see...
Model Railroad magazine... Articles on all scales... Garden model railroad is model railroad... Model Railroad magazine publishes article about it...
Sorry, but I guess I think a magazine about model railroads can publish an article about a garden model railroad.

By that reasoning, we shouldn't expect any articles about N, HO, or O scale next month?

And you know this with such certainty because...?
Frankly, I thought it was an interesting article on an aspect of the hobby I know little about. The layout appears to be well done and the idea of actually riding a model is intriguing. It must be a blast.
Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"
Mike Tennent wrote:

Nah, it's a garden railroad, a completely different thing.
All the best,
Mark.

Different? Yes.
Completely Different? No.
If you insist upon having every single page be useful to your modeling efforts, may I suggest you look elsewhere. I buy MR and not every page is relevant to me. I accept that.
Not every article in the newspaper is relevant, nor is every story on the evening news.
Complaining about it here is not going to accomplish anything, and writing to MR isn't likely to, either.
Life's rough, Get a helmet.
Doug Menke
Douglas E. Menke wrote:

As do I. What I don't accept is non-model railroading content in a model railroading magazine. That's not what I'm paying for. I do look elsewhere. MR is one of a number of magazines I purchase regularly, but it's the only one that is suffering such a sharp decline in quality. I suppose I will reach the point where I'll stop buying it. So much for their efforts to attract people to the 'world's greatest hobby'...

And neither is this statement relevant to the topic. Mind you, it's been a long time since I've bought a paper, or watched television news. If I want my intelligence insulted, I have friends who will do that for me.

I don't expect it will, either. But since this is a model railroad newsgroup, I air my grievances here. Writing Kalmbach would obviously be a waste of time. They've made a editorial decision based on a sound assumption - that the bulk of their current readership are passive and compliant, and will put up with almost anything...

'kenoath!
All the best,
Mark.

That sort of arrogant BS doesn't even warrant a rebuttal.
Get over yourself, man.
Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"
I am not sure if I agree with Mark, however, I will not purchase a subscription to Model Railroader anymore, and I rarely purchase single isssues, as, in my own opinion, the overall quality of the magazine, in general, has gone down the tubes. My last subscription was a freebie (won it it a model RR show) and even free, most of the issues had very little of interest in them for me. I currently have two more certificates for free one year MR subscriptions, I will probably end up giving them away, or selling them on Ebay. I have always liked Railroad Model Craftsman much better, as well as Rail Model Journal and Model Railroading, (and I continue to purchase them at my "local" model RR shop) all are much less commercial, and give much more useable information on prototype and scale modeling, and also deal more with smaller, Fallen Flag and various regional modelling, then MR. MR, from what I have seen, glues itself to the big carriers, and the carriers surrounding Milwaukee. As one who enjoys Pre-Conrail Eastern roads, I personally can only take so much of BN, ATSF, UP and Wisconsin Central, month after month, and layout articles which seem to go out of their way, to highlight those roads, and the MR advertisers products. MR's coverage of the roads in areas that I am interested in, are sparse, at best. The other, smaller magazines do a much better job of this, and even when my own specific interests are not addressed, I still find many related articles of interest in the other mags.I don't expect to see the EL, CNJ, D&H or LV published in every mag, every month, however, I would prefer to see articles on Wabash, NKP, RF&P, ACL... etc.... then always reading about the UP, BN, ATSF, BNSF, NS and CSX. As for Garden Railroading, to drift back on topic, I enjoy seeing and watching them, maybe one day when I am rich and famous, and my HO scale version of the 1968 era corridor from the Delaware River, up through Allentown, Scranton, Stroudsburg and into Binghamton, is started and completed, I would even consider putting a Garden Railway in, just for kicks, but, I personally prefer to purchase magazines that are more selective in what they publish, those that are more in line with my own interests, geared more to scale modelling. If and when, I ever take interest in Garden Railways, I will be the first one to purchase magazines dealing with them.... at that time. It seems to me, that MR has no real specific direction, in what it publishes, or atleast, the directions that it appears to go in, are of little to no interest, to me, and apparantly, many other modelers. Jeff
On 17 Sep 2003 18:57:27 GMT, JJRNJ wrote:
=> As one who enjoys Pre-Conrail =>Eastern roads, I personally can only take so much of BN, ATSF, UP and Wisconsin =>Central, month after month, and layout articles which seem to go out of their =>way, to highlight those roads, and the MR advertisers products.
MR does cover Eastern (and other) roads. They can only print what they are offered. They do solicit material, as RMC and RMJ etc do also, but like all hobyy magazines, they rely on readers to provide material. If you want more eastern RR material, I'm afraid you'll have to research it yourself. Of course, being an all around good guy, you'll be happy to write up your research and share it with the rest of the world in the pages of MR, RMC, RMJ, etc, right?
I operate a small model train shop out here in the wilds of mid-northern Canads - and the scratchbuilders who want prototype fidelity, who will build a car or structure etc from a magazine article, are very thin on the ground. The attitude to the hobby that Mark represents is rare; most model train fans are far more eclectic in their taste, and by and large don't care squat about anything except having fun. (His head-up-his-butt elitism is rarer still, thank goodness.)
--

Wolf Kirchmeir, Blind River, Ontario, Canada
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 23:32:06 UTC, "Wolf Kirchmeir"

I am afraid that I have to agree with Mark and accept being a head-up-his-butt elitist. I have subscribed to MR since 1961 and have bought other of their publications. I vowed earlier this year that I would not renew. I have seen nothing to change that opinion. Kalmbach has seen the last penny from me.
I typically find something of interest in articles about any scale but over the past few years the content in MR has declined steadily. Great Model Railroads is a farce and Model Railroad Planning has also gone downhill. I shall wend my merry but elitist way.
--
ernie fisch

Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

Did you really mean to write that? Where I come from, eclectic is usually defined as "selecting what appears to be best in various doctrines, methods, or styles". So, contrary to your assertion, I AM eclectic. If what you meant was catholic, then again, I am very catholic in my modelling tastes. You would only need to glance at my library or see my workbench to realise that.

An interesting notion this. What makes you think that I'm not having fun? Or indeed, that I don't care about having fun? Are having fun and being discriminating in my choices mutually exclusive?

Is that what you regard as being elitist - having an opinion and expressing a preference?
And BTW, Wolf - if you intend to insult an Australian, telling him he has his "head-up-his-butt" is meaningless.
All the best,
Mark.