Price of January MR?

Can someone tell me what is the cover price of the January 2004 Model Railroader in the U.S.? Their 70th anniversary edition. It was $2.00 more than last month's here in Canada, $8.95 vs. $6.95. Add to the $8.95 price our beloved 15% HST tax and this issue cost me $10.29 in Canadian funds. I hope this price increase is for this issue only, as I'm not likely to pay over $10.00 for future issues.

Bob Boudreau Canada

Reply to
Railfan

To Railfan, et al: Model Railroader magazine now is also on the Web, and I do not think you can get it any cheaper! The url is in the magazine you have in your possession. :-)

Reply to
Old Sarge

But you sure don't get much - the online version is NOT the whole magazine - it's just "added content". You still have to buy the hard copy to get the magazine!

Frank Eva Digital Railroader

Frank Eva

Bob - According to Kalmbach the higher price is a one-time thing because (they claim) the January issue has a lot more pages than the typical issue. I do note, however, that this 70th anniversary issue is the smallest in number of pages since the 45th anniversary issue decades ago...and they never charged extra for those intervening bigger issues. Nor can I say that I found anything exceptional in the January '04 issue compared with some of the earlier examples...just a great many additional ads. Hope they do a better job when the

75th anniversary rolls around.

CNJ999

Reply to
JBortle

December 2003 - "$4.95 * 6.95 Canada"

January 2004 - "$5.95 * 8.95 Canada"

Bill MacIndoe

Reply to
MacIndoe

Reason enough to stop buying MR!!!!!

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

I have noticed that the price of MR has been bouncing up and down, seems to go up when they have a bigger page court/special issue.

I worrk at a hobby shop, so I notice price changes

-Hudson

Reply to
Hudson Leighton

Jan 2003 issue was also a buck or two more than others. The price will come back down in Feb, though it's still too much in my view. I stopped subscribing years ago & only buy an issue every once in a while.

Reply to
Corelane

Bouncing up and down? Not likely. The cover price for all of the 2003 editions has been $4.95 per cover. Add to that the annual "Great Model Railroads" and "Model Railroad Planning" were $5.95 the previous couple of years until the

2003 editions went to $6.95 each. Not sure how we'd justify calling that "bouncing". For the record I checked my inventory records for my shop. I not only work in one I own it and definetly keep close tabs on pricing.

Dave Henk Hobby Oasis

Reply to
Dave Henk

Wow... how can you say that? Scratchbuilding interlocking tower rods? Scratchbuilding passenger cars? A huge story on the Altoona Museum layout? Handlaid track tips?

Man, I thought this issue, and the December issue (with the Combine scratchbuilding article), was exceptional. Perhaps the best two issues of MR for over a decade or more. More like the MR of the old days.

-Gerry Leone

Gerry Leone

=>Wow... how can you say that? Scratchbuilding interlocking tower rods? =>Scratchbuilding passenger cars? A huge story on the Altoona Museum layout? =>Handlaid track tips? =>

=>Man, I thought this issue, and the December issue (with the Combine =>scratchbuilding article), was exceptional. Perhaps the best two issues of =>MR for over a decade or more. More like the MR of the old days. =>

=> -Gerry Leone =>

Gerry, there are people who are unable to to like anything - complain, complain, complain, no matter what, there's always something wrong with whatever they are looking at. There was a time when I felt somewhat sorry for them - what a dreary life they must live! But I've changed my mind. Too many of them are self-righteous posterior orifices. Consider what emanates from them as mere flatulence, and ignore it.

Just enjoy the hobby. :-)

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

The January 2003 issue was the same as all the other 2003 issues ($4.95 US, $6.95 Canadian).

How can people make up such blatantly incorrect facts that are so easily checkable?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Yup.

Lucy to Linus in a Peanuts strip: "This is a birch tree. Someday it will be a mighty oak."

It's purty easy, actually, but don't expect to have even a smidge of credibility once you do it.

Texas Pete

Reply to
Pete Kerezman

Guess I got ripped off on my Jan issue. Do I need to send you a receipt?

Reply to
Corelane

The politically correct term is "Recto-Americans."

R. Boone, the Elder Bon Vivant, Raconteur and Occasional Microferroequinologist

Reply to
RWBoone

My January 2004 issue shows $5.95 US and 8.95 Canada. Wouldn't take much in the way of tax to make it over 10 bucks.

Reply to
John X. Volker

You must not be looking at the mag I saw, which IS more expensive per the cover. How can you make up such incorrect facts that are so easily checkable?

Reply to
MrRathburne

I suspect there is some fun in the fact that the mag that is generally being talked about is Jan '04 but is being commented on as Jan '03. :)

Reply to
Jon Miller

Boy, and they say AOL is uncouth? A few folks (myself included) post what we paid for MR and get called liars?

Season Greetings to you too. :-(

Reply to
Corelane

But not for 1/2003. I suspect you meant the current issue, 1/2004. If you paid extra for Jan of this year you got had. I just dug it out and looked at the cover :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard