Price of January MR - time out !!!

Folks,

I am at a loss trying to comprehend how certain, negative threads can spiral into such negative outputs. It doesn't make sense. I don't get it. Recently, we endured a poor display of civility regarding the shipment of bricks via the railroad [and the cars used for this purpose]. Now, we are being subjected to an equally unappreciated thread concerning the 'Price of the January '04 MR'.

If its people conducting personal assaults on one another [maybe past histories are in play], please take those off the NG. Use your private e-mail accounts to exchange your war of words between one another. Better yet, meet in person. Don't drag the NG into such interactions. It's quite wrong to assume that we care to read your negative comments toward one another. They're not clever, entertaining, or, for that matter, flattering for the poster. Frankly, I would consider the fact that YOUR NAME is attached to each post you make. Someone within the 'Price ... ' thread made a reference to 'credibility'. Though their comment was directed toward the act of making incorrect, factual statements, credibility is a byproduct of your tone and your intent regardless of the content.

These negative threads certainly betray the enjoyment we should all be having when asking questions and reading responses to questions on this newsgroup. The purpose of these NG's is to simply share helpful and positive information.

It's fabulous when it is used for this specific reason.

It's very disappointing when this NG [or any NG] is abused.

Most Sincerely, Matt Brennan

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan

How do we know your name is Matt Brennan and not John Patterson?

Reply to
MrRathburne

Rath,

His writing style says it's Matt. I've read many of his posts and many of yours. I don't know John Patterson.

Reply to
KTØT

There was an encrypted logarithm embedded in his reply. I've used my daily keying material to ascetain that it indeed was one Matt Brennan of a multitude of inquiries to this newsgroup.

Now how do I know you are who you say you are?

DCH

Reply to
Dave Henk

Wonderful devices, these computers. I am in the middle of grading finals and my wife says I am completly muddled. Can you check to see if I am who I think I am? Further, was I the same person last month?

Jim Stewart

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Just food for thought about the possibilites of the internet. Who is really who other than the keys they punch....................?

Reply to
MrRathburne

I apologize. I've disagreed with folks here before, but never so bluntly. The person I responded to kept insisting that there was an increase in Jan 2003, and that he really meant 2003, when those of us who have the issue in question, and the surrounding issues, went to the work to dig them out and see if he was correct. He was not.

It seemed to me that he was deliberately trying to raise a ruckus (i.e. trolling) and that got me more irritated than it perhaps should of. I will ignore him and any others of his ilk in the future. Or at least try to answer more politely :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Amen! That's why I started a new newsgroup elsewhere and grabbed some former frequent posters here. We talk about industry news and don't have to worry about the usual negative posters anymore. It's refreshing to be able to post something you know is fact and not get into an arguement over it.

CBix

Reply to
Charles Bix

On a Yahoo group that I belong to, one of the subscribers posted the following e-mail from Kalmback regarding the price of MR.

Thank you for contacting us regarding the Canadian cover price of Model Railroader. It has been increased to $8.95 effective with the January 2004 issue."

End Quote.

So, what about the rising Canadian dollar?

The price of MR to Canadians should be falling, or is MR just ripping off Canadians?

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Reminds me of a line from Hudson & Landry's Ajax Airlines: "Operator, trace this call and tell me where I am."

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

According to their web page, the Canadian subscription price is still US$50. With the current exchange rate (loonie=US$0.77), that's actually slightly cheaper than the American domestic rate of US$39.95 = CAN$51.88. Obviously though, that could change at a moment's notice (especially with upcoming Canada Post increases). Canadian Railway Modeler could be looking more competitive by May (when my current MR sub runs out).....

-- Steve

Reply to
Steve Watson

I've just realized what an amazingly stupid thing that was to say. Thank you all for looking the other way. Jolly decent of you.... (Either that or: good thing no one ever reads my posts).

Reply to
Steve Watson

Huh? What?

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

OK, it's gratifying to know that someone *does* read my posts ;-).

Two posts back I managed to confuse myself with numbers and claim that I (Canadian) am paying less for my MR sub than you (American). However, if you do *all* the currency conversions (instead of only half of them), tain't so. Using today's rate of CDN$1.00 = US$0.76 (see Yahoo Finance):

Americans pay US$39.95 = CDN$52.57 Canadians pay US$50.00 = CDN$65.79

....which is obviously NOT cheaper up here than down there -- though still way less than the almost CDN$80 I paid last spring when I renewed (at the time, the Loonie was running as low as US$0.63). Barely cheaper than the cover price of $6.95*12=$83.50. If this keeps up, MR will be a bargain by the time my next renewal comes up (assuming Klambake don't jack up the Foreign rate).

But I still feel tempted to change over to CRM + one of the two N-Scale mags, just out of personal relevance.

-- Steve

Reply to
Steve Watson

D'oh! Some weeks, I just shouldn't be allowed to post to Usenet....

[snip another very silly post by me]
Reply to
Steve Watson