Price of January MR?

Rathburne, you misguided old soul.

Check out the cover price of the January 2003 issue and the February-December issues. They are all the same. $4.95 U.S. and $6.95 Canadian.

So... explain to us: How did you see a magazine that WAS more expensive per the cover? Or are you just making up incorrect facts?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

"Mike Tennent"

I agree Mike. Do we trust the good folks at Kalmbach?

Errrrrr, no.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

What does that mean for Australians

8.95 for november which I purchased Last week for MR 10.25 For Nov Model Railroad Crasftman

I Expect Jan 2004 to be arround $11.55 for australian readers

it cost about $15 an issue at hobby co in the city for the current issue

Ant

Reply to
Mr Anthony Chambers

For the record: Recent cover prices of Model Railroader. Note the "bounces" in January 1999, January 2000 and January 2004 (three of the past six years).

January 1999: $5.50 U.S. $6.95 Can.

February 1999: $4.50 U.S. $5.75 Can. -through- December 1999: $4.50 U.S. $6.50 Can.

January 2000: $4.95 U.S. $6.95 Can.

February 2000: $4.50 U.S. $6.50 Can. -through- October 2001: $4.50 U.S. $6.50 Can.

November 2001: $4.95 U.S. $6.95 Can. -through- December 2003: $4.95 U.S. $6.95 Can.

January 2004: $5.95 U.S. $8.95 Can.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Nothing really, since this discussion since the very first sentence of the very first message has been about the cover price. MR dropped the U.K. cover price during 2001 and since then has only shown a U.S. and Canadian cover price.

I don't think they've ever had an Australian price on the cover.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

By don't nothing "cost-wise" with a declining sale of magazines the only solution is to raise the cover price.

Reply to
Jon Miller

"Only solution?" Nonsense. Did you attend the Rathburne Scool Of Business? There are always other alternatives (each of which would yield somewhat different results)... => Reduce content to lower material costs => Lay off staff to lower payroll => Raise advertising rates => Reduce publication frequency => Increase market share through promotions

Never fall into the trap of thinking that there is only one solution.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

"Mark Mathu" <

Raise the quality of the articles within the magazine to encourage sales.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

My copies of MR quite clearly have 2.75 GBP printed on the front cover - how else would the poor little girl on the till know what to charge me for it?

Mark Mathu wrote:

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

Sorry Mark, I know there are many things to do I was just suggesting what Klambach has done.

Reply to
Jon Miller

I had a look at the front cover of the latest issue of MR and it only has the UK price - not a mention of either US or Canadian prices anywhere on it.

snip

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

Model Railroad Secret Police! Arrest that man immeadiately!

Roger T. wrote:

"Raise the quality of the articles within the magazine to encourage sales."

Reply to
Eric

$4.95 X 1.31 = $6.48 47 cents more than the exchange rate

$5.95 X 1.31 = $7.79 $1.16 more than the exchange rate

1.31 is the average exchange rate for the last couple of months.

RMC $4.50 * 6.25 Canada

4.50 X 1.31 = $5.89 36 cents more than exchange rate

Keep in mind there is time lag between when that cover price is set and when it actually goes to the printer and that over a year ago the exchange rate was as bad as 1.54.

Reply to
Mountain Goat

... Terry Thompson wrote the editorial and was credited as Editor in the February issue.

Reply to
Mark Mathu