RTS 5.0 Layout Size

hi railroaders

i hope one of you could help me. i tried to find the solution in the "help" of atlas rts but i was not able to find something :-(

has somebody an idea how i could draw the size (outline, room-size) of my layout? or even better, how i could draw a layout which persists of different modules (is this word existing in english? hope so.....)?

nice greetings from switzerland martin

Reply to
Martin

The word you are looking for is 'consists'. Persist means to keep working on something, usually an unpleasant task.

As to the real question.

What you might try is to make the 'layout' dimensions the same as the room and some how set some other boundaries to be the layout.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

I did not find a good way to draw what you want. I drew mine using lines. A line is a wire with 0 dimension.

Not sure what you mean by "draw a layout which persists of different modules "

Reply to
Tom Groszko

Martin:

Contact me off-list. I've done modular layouts as large as 24 meters x 18 meters with RTS (a club layout).

Bill zbendtrack @ aol.com (take out spaces)

Reply to
ZBendTrack

I found software for designing layouts on the atlas site. I don't remember its name. you might try searching google for "model train layout software"

Reply to
larry l.

Original Post:

i hope one of you could help me. i tried to find the solution in the "help" of atlas rts but i was not able to find something :-(

has somebody an idea how i could draw the size (outline, room-size) of my layout? or even better, how i could draw a layout which persists of different modules (is this word existing in english? hope so.....)?

"larry l." wrote

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Larry, larry, larry...............

He *has* the Atlas software. He's asking a question on how to use it.

Every responder so far has obviously been unfamiliar with the program, but still felt compelled to respond to Martin's question. What is it with this group? It's been like this for at least 5 years--the less someone knows about a subject, the more inclined they are to post a message?

Martin,

Use the "Draw Benchwork" feature of RTS. You can define 'line' width and color to differentiate between types of wall construction. Represent exterior walls with very thick lines; interior walls with thinner lines.

You can show windows and doorways the same as they would appear on a blueprint

Benchwork can be displayed as brown lines about 1/5 the width of an interior wall. If you plan on printing your results, I'd recommend using light colors to conserve ink. Probably best to use a lt.gray for all walls.

Reply to
Dont Know My Name

Isn't that about the time Big John's last train left the station? Sure miss his wit on this group -- it just hasn't been the same since.

Garth

Reply to
Garth Allen

If using a version newer than RTS4.0 the benchwork system has been dumped in favor or the line tool. He can get the benchwork info under the Help listing as well.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Henk

Use the line tool to draw the room dimensions (door, windows, etc). I tend to make this red in color. You can change the line width to suit. I have laid out modular railroads as well. Use the line function to make your Module outlines. arrange these to suit your space. Then design the trackwork.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Henk

hi everybody

thanks for your help!! i'll try it in this way and i tell you later how well it worked....

so, now i could start to draw my dream layout and try whats possible in my room with H0 or N

greets and enjoy the weekend with your trains martin

"Martin" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3f62049b$1 snipped-for-privacy@news.bluewin.ch...

Reply to
Martin

Martin,

Persist is the right word ("to endure; remain"). You want to draw the outline of the room or benchwork and then use those exact same outlines for each module or version of your layout(s). You want the outlines to "persist" in each layout.

First draw the outlines and get the dimensions right. You may want to change the lines to a distinctive color and make them extra thick. When you get them just the way you want them, box or select them all and "fix" them (right click, "properties", "fix", "OK"), so you don't accidentally move them later. You may also want to move them to their own level you call "module" or "room" or something. Now save that file as a template. Then start each new module or layout version by opening that file and immediately re-naming it to "version 1" or "module A" or something. You may want to save a copy of your template in a secure location just in case you accidentally change it later. Then draw the track in the normal way.

You could also keep everything in one file. Draw each module or layout version on a different layer, and turn them on and off as needed, leaving the "walls" layer turned on all the time (persistently). That way you could more easily compare two layouts by turning both of them on at the same time. To do that, after you have created the first piece of trackwork, click it, then right click it and click "properties". Change to a new layer and turn on "set as default" the click "OK". Each new piece created will then go onto that layer. You may also want to change the default color each time in case you want to overlay them later. You may want to re-name the layers instead of using the default numbers.

I hope this helps.

Greetings from the USA Bill MacIndoe

Reply to
MacIndoe

hi bill

thanks for that "step by step" explanation! sounds that you are very used with rts?

i think i would start with the layout today.... but first i need a coffee ;-)

greetings from a nice, sunny, sonday morning from swiss martin

"Mac> > hi railroaders

Reply to
Martin