IHC Steamers

Can anyone tell me if the steam engines offered by International Hobby Corp. (IHC) have functional couplers in the pilot? I need a steamer to use for switching.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave Rutan

Wish they'd just fit them with wheel that would run on code 70 rail, then that 2-6-0 would be a prime kitbashing candidate.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

=>

=>Wish they'd just fit them with wheel that would run on code 70 rail, then =>that 2-6-0 would be a prime kitbashing candidate.

?????

It runs on my handlaid code 70 -- occasionally bumps a high spike head, though. :-)

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

My pair of IHC Moguls, (2-6-0's) come from the factory with a dummy coupler in the pilot. With a modest amount of Dremel work I was able to install Kadee's in place of the dummy. The flanges are a little deeper than RP-25, but my pair of Moguls can handle the North Shore MRC hand laid code 83 track. (Hand laid track spike heads stick up a tad higher than flextrack spikes do). Although any engine can and has been used for switching, purpose built steam switchers were always of the 0-x-0 (no pilot, any number of drivers from 4 to 10, no trailing) wheel arrangement. This wheel arrangement concentrates all the locomotive's weight on the drivers for best traction, at the expense of high speed handling. Lacking a pilot truck, the ride on 0-x-0's gets scary above about 25 mph. Other hallmarks of steam switchers were relatively small drivers for good low speed pulling power, and slope back tenders to let the engineer see right down to the track while backing up. This helped him to see and avoid things like brakemen.

David J. Starr

Reply to
David J. Starr

The newer IHC 0-8-0 has a horn hook coupler on the front pilot. I recently sold one on eBay and still have my photo of it when it came out of the trainset box new.

I have one of their Pacifics (a 4-6-2) and a Mountain (a 4-8-2), and I don't think either came with operational front couplers, although they now do as I think I installed them. (Getting old, can't recall!)

Good luck!

Bob Boudreau Canada

Reply to
Railfan

"David J. Starr"

Never been in the UK then where the 0-6-0 was, IIRC, the most numerous wheel arrangement and was regularly used on passenger trains that ran well above

25mph, and it wasn't unusual for them to be seen running tender first as well.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

They didn't normally use a regular pilot for switching. A flat vertical one was preferred if they used the smokebox end of the engine. The tender end was preferred, which gave much better vision for closing up to the cars, especially a slope-backed one.

There is a typical switcher at

Note the vertical pilot with steps, and the slope backed tender.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

The British 0-6-0 tended to have larger driving wheels and a longer wheelbase, and ran on better track. Even a 4-6-0 or 2-6-0 was more rigid than its US counterpart. Also curves on the US tend to be tighter.

If you ride on or behind a short wheelbased 0-6-0 like the Severn Valley's 1500 pannier tank it's a bad ride.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Dave,

To answer your original question as to whether IHC steam engines have operational couplers on the pilot - the answer would be that the 2-8-0s have operational couplers. I cannot speak to the 0-8-0 as I have never seen one since they came out. I had two of the 2-8-0s until the Bachmann Spectrum engines came out several years ago. They have good motors and are quiet runners. If you take the time to paint all the shiny silver handrails black, and put a crew in the cab(I prefer LaBelle crews), replace the bell and whistle with brass ones from Cal Scale, you will end up with a nice looking, good running engine.

Bob Rule, Jr.

Reply to
EBTBOB

Perhaps 'swiching' was an unfortunate phrase. What I meant was that I need a steamer to pull a peddler freight up my branch. There are passing sidings at major locations, but there are times when a coupler on the pilot would be handy to pull that boxcar out of the siding.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Rutan

The 2-8-0 sound good then. Even thought it's lettered for the DL&W, I planned on adding necesary details to bring it closer to the prototype.

Dave

-- EBTBOB wrote:

Reply to
Dave Rutan

No, Bob. It's not "can't recall", it's "too much stuff to remember."

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

My Premier (sp?) 0-8-0 came with an operating horn-hook coupler on the front. An optional knuckle coupler is included in the box.

Mike

Dave Rutan wrote: : Can anyone tell me if the steam engines offered by International Hobby : Corp. (IHC) have functional couplers in the pilot? I need a steamer to : use for switching. : : Thanks, : Dave

Reply to
Michael Powell

Roger, I just tried to sell one on Ebay. I turned the flanges down for use on code 70. Mounted a fully functional Kadee front coupler. Installed Digitrax Decoder Nice air brushed light weathering job. Couldn't even get $45 for it. Too bad, because it runs very nicely. Doug

Reply to
Doug

Roger, Does NWSL or someone else have drivers that could be used to replace the pizza cutters? Also do you still have the web site address to the guy who did that nice bash on one? I posted it here when the subject of this model last came up but have lost it some how. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Dave Use it as a regular switcher too if you want. Many short lines and probably some of the large railroads switched with anything that was running. 2-6-0s,

4-6-0's and 2-8-0's could all be found doing switching work. Most of the Texas shortlines I've gathered information on never owned an 0-6-0 or an 0-8-0. They mainly used 2-6-0's and 4-6-0's. Bruce
Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Bruce.

Guess I could try NWSL.

And the URL is : -

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Great website, thanks for posting it again. It's very informative, and a lovely looking bit of work.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

"Mark Newton" <

He's certainly given me some ideas, hence my interest in the IHC 2-6-0.

.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Its sparked my interest too. I don't need any 2-6-0's. The TM never had any, but a 2-6-0 certainly would look as if belonged. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger