IHC Steamers

Dave Rutan wrote:

The newer IHC 0-8-0 has a horn hook coupler on the front pilot. I recently sold one on eBay and still have my photo of it when it came out of the trainset box new.
I have one of their Pacifics (a 4-6-2) and a Mountain (a 4-8-2), and I don't think either came with operational front couplers, although they now do as I think I installed them. (Getting old, can't recall!)
Good luck!
Bob Boudreau Canada

No, Bob. It's not "can't recall", it's "too much stuff to remember."
Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

They didn't normally use a regular pilot for switching. A flat vertical one was preferred if they used the smokebox end of the engine. The tender end was preferred, which gave much better vision for closing up to the cars, especially a slope-backed one.
There is a typical switcher at http://www.mth-railking.com/detailframe.asp?item0-1269-1
Note the vertical pilot with steps, and the slope backed tender.

Dave,
To answer your original question as to whether IHC steam engines have operational couplers on the pilot - the answer would be that the 2-8-0s have operational couplers. I cannot speak to the 0-8-0 as I have never seen one since they came out. I had two of the 2-8-0s until the Bachmann Spectrum engines came out several years ago. They have good motors and are quiet runners. If you take the time to paint all the shiny silver handrails black, and put a crew in the cab(I prefer LaBelle crews), replace the bell and whistle with brass ones from Cal Scale, you will end up with a nice looking, good running engine.
Bob Rule, Jr.
The 2-8-0 sound good then. Even thought it's lettered for the DL&W, I planned on adding necesary details to bring it closer to the prototype.
Dave -- EBTBOB wrote:

--
The First Railroad in Sussex County New Jersey
http://DLW-SussexBranch.com

Dave - most don't. Their 2-8-0 does, however. All Bachmann Spectrum steam have operating front couplers as do the Life Like Proto steamers. Gene ABV61-1043.001.HCB <A HREF="http://www.tckworld.com/opfoot ">http://www.tckworld.com/opfoot </A> Find "Skinny Dipping and Other Stories" On the web at www.publishamerica.com or www.military-brats.com and look for "Into Joy From Sadness" soon.